1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

take 1 layer out of head gasket?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by SleEPeR_CRX, Sep 19, 2003.

1. SleEPeR_CRX

SleEPeR_CRX Senior Member

as many of u know, im trying to up the compression of my LS, without! going for new pistions and rods cause i dont have the experiance or knowledge to do it. So for starters, please dont respond with GET b16a PISTIONS U NEWB. cause no shit, i would love to but $$$ and my skill wont get me there. i just milled the head 20thou and have roughly 9.8:1 compression. i was thinking of taking 1 layer ouf of the 3 layer head gasket i just bought. Is this bad? or good? i know u can get 2 layer head gaskets, but i didnt. how much would this increase my comp by? Thanks

2. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

you can remove a layer, i think it is the middle layer, but i'm not sure. it will increase you by at most .2
    you already have your head milled, wouldn't be a good idea
    GET b16a PISTONS U NEWB
    :p

3. SleEPeR_CRX

:owned:

y isnt it a good idea to remove a layer with the head milled. i will be at around 10:1 compression. thats not close to bad, whats the problem?

4. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

if you do it, make sure you do it properly. Use the proper gold spray to adhesive the two layers. I say just use the oem and be comfortable knowing that it won't shit due to your job of putting it together.

5. SleEPeR_CRX

what is this gold spray adhesive called? i gotta go get some cause i think its going back together tomorrow.

6. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

I forgot the name since I haven't worked on a honda for like a year or so, besides regular maintenance. But I would say go into a autoparts store and ask.

7. wildbillhatchbac

wildbillhatchbac the OG VIP

i have jdm b16 pistons in my motor that i built myself. . . and a stock headgasket . . . i felt more comfortable building the bottom end than messing with a headgasket.

and the bottom end cost me $300 . .. pistons, rings, and bearings. . all $100 each

having 11.1 to one compression with a stock headgasket = priceless

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted