Take me to Honda school -

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Vermin

Hey guys - I'm a Honda drivetrain newbie and have a lot of questions I'm hoping you can help me with. I plan on using a Honda engine/trans to power a full tube rock buggy. I've done enough googling to make me sick for one night, and the extent of my knowledge is about what you can read in wikipedia :D I'll break down my questions for ya'll and hopefully you can put things in perspective for me..

1. I've heard/read that pre-2000 Civic/Integra engines are what I'm after because they run the 'correct' direction for my rear engine application. Can someone break down for me if that includes 2000 model years - and sort me out a list of which engines are encompassed in this group? I know the D16 has been used in this application before - but that is about it.

2. Of the engines listed in the answer to #1 - which are the easiest to stand-alone wire? Are the VTEC engines any more tricky to deal with?

3. What are the different types of fuel injection available on these engines - and what types are the most desireable? I do plan on turbocharging it down the road - so fuel system flexibility will play into my decision.

4. Transmissions - I'll need an automatic transmission. I'll basically be welding the spider gears in the diff to lock the front and rear outputs (yeah, engine will be mounted in a forward/back configuration with the left/right outputs actually feeding the front/rear axle diffs) and am curious if there are any auto transmissions I should avoid because of some sort of limited slip? Also - which auto trans will have the lowest first gear ratio and the tallest overdrive ratio? This buggy will be using the trans as the 'transfer case' - so no range selection will be available.. whatever final drive ratio I select is what I'm stuck with - and I'd like it to be able to crawl relatively well in 1st gear - and still be able to move out down a dirt road at a decent speed and RPM. Are there spools available for any autos? Manual valve bodies?

Thanks for any help you can provide - I 100% appreciate it. And for an example of what I'll be putting together - check out this build -

Project Lo-budget Pimpin - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

:thumbsup:

Back