taking apart b16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2naboy

I'm new on this site so forgive me if this question has been asked previously. I'm trying to take apart a b16a that I just putchased and I was wondering if there is a how to on this forum if not, can someone point me to the right direction. Thank you.

i think he's just seperating head, block and tranny. If you are they all just bolt on. 10 or so bolts for the tranny, don't forget the starter. and I believe it's 10 for the head too.

It's simple everything you take off mark what goes where and replace all wear parts...head studs/bolts, gaskets, etc.

I'm trying to separate the head from block. The transmission is already off and I have taken the valve cover, the intake/exhaust manifolds, the cam hold downs except for the two by the distributor mount and the vtech selenoid. That's where I'm at right now. I need to know if they are just being tough or if I need to take off the selonoid to get to it. And after that what else do I have to look forward to.

Pardon me if I sound a little inexperienced but I've never taking apart a dohc before just a d16y8 and d15 and a nissan maxima engine. They are all put together differently

You must remove the cam caps so you can take the cmas out so you ca get the head studs underneath the cams... take out the follower as well...

do not get any of the bolts mixed up... dont throw them in a freaking box... the go a certain way. keep em like that

men, those bolts are difficult as hell to turn. I'm going to have to use a torque wrench, I could'nt muscle these bolts.

Originally posted by 2naboy@Sep 3 2004, 04:21 PM
men, those bolts are difficult as hell to turn. I'm going to have to use a torque wrench, I could'nt muscle these bolts.
[post=385820]Quoted post[/post]​

torque wrenches are for tightning do not use them to loosen bolts it'll damage the wrench. try a breaker bar

Originally posted by 2naboy@Sep 3 2004, 04:21 PM

time to get a gym membership.
Seriously though, a breaker bar will be sufficient.

Originally posted by DTEC+Sep 3 2004, 04:56 PM-->
@Sep 3 2004, 04:21 PM

time to get a gym membership.
Seriously though, a breaker bar will be sufficient.
[post=385835]Quoted post[/post]​

As long as its in the car... if its on an engine stand then... its going to be hard to get the stand to stay still and move about...

Excuse me, I meant an impact wrench sorry for the misprint. I used the pipe from my hydraulic jack and slipped it onto the ratchet to make a breaker bar. I put the engine on its side and it worked like a charm. Now its port/polish with valve job time. I'm also replacing the cams and the sprockets and possibly the valves and springs.

Back