1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

taking crankshaft pulley off with engine out of car..

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by mustang67n, Aug 5, 2006.

1. mustang67n

mustang67n Senior Member

i got the new engine for my swap today and im changing the timing belt and i need help with the crank pulley. i know they're supposed to be a PITA to get off, and i know it takes a few hours, a long breaker bar, and a few pain pills for your back afterward lol. but do you guys have any good tricks to keep it all still when the engine is out of the car and has no transmission attatched to it!?

the engine is currently on an engine stand and i figured i'd throw a screw driver through a space in the engine stand into the flywheel to stop it from spinning, then give the bolt hell. just wanted to see if you all had some better ideas?

thanks

2. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

That's pretty much all you can do since your motor is on a stand, unless you got an impact gun and compressor.

3. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

what i did was screw 2 flywheel bolts into the crank shaft and used an old radius rod as my lever

4. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

screw some pressure plate bolts into the flywheel and a transmission bolt into the block, then use a box end wrench or something similar to stop the crank from spining.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  5. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Good quality impact wrench FTW.

If not, I'd suggest a short breaker bar and a medium sledge hammer. Set it up and whack the shit out of the breaker bar. One of my unorthodox tools I've used very sucessfully is a 20 pound solid steel dumbell. I use it + a short breaker bar to loosen all kinds of items, rusted solid, stuck like whoa, Axle bolts, one crank bolt.. the dead blow from the 20 pounds is usually enough to break loose anything.

Using a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth isn't a bad idea but really requires two people. Or a crapload of frustration, either way.

6. blewup91rex

blewup91rex New Member

Im in the same situation except my tranny is still on ne ideas?

7. mustang67n

mustang67n Senior Member

i ended up throwing a screwdriver through a hole in the stand.. through the flywheel. that held it pretty good.

then i took my 1/2"drive ratchet and found a 4' bar i used as a breaker bar.. got it off no problem!! i guess those 4' of leverage gets the job done no problem!!
    thanks for the ideas guys!

8. brian11to1

brian11to1 Senior Member

holy shit, you did what i did... wow.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted