taking crankshaft pulley off with engine out of car..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mustang67n

i got the new engine for my swap today and im changing the timing belt and i need help with the crank pulley. i know they're supposed to be a PITA to get off, and i know it takes a few hours, a long breaker bar, and a few pain pills for your back afterward lol. but do you guys have any good tricks to keep it all still when the engine is out of the car and has no transmission attatched to it!?

the engine is currently on an engine stand and i figured i'd throw a screw driver through a space in the engine stand into the flywheel to stop it from spinning, then give the bolt hell. just wanted to see if you all had some better ideas?

thanks

That's pretty much all you can do since your motor is on a stand, unless you got an impact gun and compressor.

screw some pressure plate bolts into the flywheel and a transmission bolt into the block, then use a box end wrench or something similar to stop the crank from spining.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Good quality impact wrench FTW.

If not, I'd suggest a short breaker bar and a medium sledge hammer. Set it up and whack the shit out of the breaker bar. One of my unorthodox tools I've used very sucessfully is a 20 pound solid steel dumbell. I use it + a short breaker bar to loosen all kinds of items, rusted solid, stuck like whoa, Axle bolts, one crank bolt.. the dead blow from the 20 pounds is usually enough to break loose anything.

Using a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth isn't a bad idea but really requires two people. Or a crapload of frustration, either way.

i ended up throwing a screwdriver through a hole in the stand.. through the flywheel. that held it pretty good.

then i took my 1/2"drive ratchet and found a 4' bar i used as a breaker bar.. got it off no problem!! i guess those 4' of leverage gets the job done no problem!!
thanks for the ideas guys!

Blanco said:
Do this. Fucking great idea.

I did something similar, except with the flywheel off. I just put two of the flywheel bolts in across from each other and wedged a big pry bar in and up against one of the arms of the stand. Held the crank perfectly still.

holy shit, you did what i did... wow.

Back