taking off the valve cover for my 91 accord, a few tips?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

91accordwithwork

kid that everyone loves!
hey again guys can i please have some help?

ok i really wana paint my valve cover considering its reall nasty looking, but im not sure how to take it off,

should i just screw off the 2 or so bolts then unhook the hooses?

im afraid that when i take it off what do i do to not expose the bare inside or under it,

can i please get some help on taking it off

thanks

watch your gasket...dont break it or you have to replace it. just dont drop stuff into your head either. good luck.

do a search on this site for painting the valve cover. a couple good threads here on just that subject. they look incredible.

ya if you look at the very bottom of this thread under "similar threads" you will find it.

Replace the gasket when you take it off. Get a valve cover gasket set.. Auto-zone or whatever will do.. Its not a load or pressure bearing gasket. $15ish. When you put the valve cover back on, DO NOT over-tighten the bolts. It will certainly leak if you do. Just snug is fine.

As far as exposing your motor, just cover it up with a trash bag or a clean shop towel while the valve cover is off.

Also, look into powder coating your cover.. paint will look like crap after a few months. Yes, even the "engine" paint.

my paint was fine after a year.. just need to prep it right and put a nice coat of clear on it

Maybe a dark color. I did mine white and it looked like ass after about 8 months. Started yellowing. This was sand blasted, prepped as well as it could be, and sprayed with that ceramic engine crap.

Step one, take it off.
Step two, prep and paint
Step three, reassemble
Step four, drink beer

It's not that hard. You really don't need to cover the engine, just be careful around it. Engine paint should be plently protection. That stuff is good to 600F. Bad prep will make any paint fall off.

wooow thank you guys im going to sand off all the old nasty paint then buy some 2000 degree proff blue spray paint , for engines

wish me luck!

awww i got a problem i go tthis wierd oil cap on top of mine does that matter??? what do i do with that?

and all the hoses? do i just unplug them????

im so confused, ,

Can you just unscrew it? It would help us if you posted a picture or two.

The hoses should be your pcv or crank case vent. They should just pull off of the valve cover. The whole pcv should come off with the hose attached.

yah , i think im fine with the hoses but what do i do with this thing? is there oil in there>?

p.s.

this is not my actul car's valve cover but it will show u what i mean?

that big knob, what to do with it?

Attachments

• 9-17partout024Medium.jpg
    9-17partout024Medium.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,033
back when i had a 93 accord i painted mine with yellow engine paint and i put it back on the car when it was still tacky and started it up, that shrunk the paint just enough for it to have the factory wrinkle paint like stock

there might be a little 710 sitting around inside of the valve cover and on the head, but most of the 710 is going to be down below. You can get a new gasket and stuff if you want, but isn't necessary unless the old one is hard or torn up. You could even add a little rtv if the seal looks bad and that would hold it together and make it so you wont have any leaks. Unless you break something, you should be all set. And when you put the bolts back in, don't over tighten them, it doesn't take a lot of force to seal it.

back when i had a 93 accord i painted mine with yellow engine paint and i put it back on the car when it was still tacky and started it up, that shrunk the paint just enough for it to have the factory wrinkle paint like stock

if you want this look, probably would be best to get it done in a real wrinkle paint

yea that would be best if your not a pro

ok thanks guys i justr got it off!

yay

lol

so the undersides all oily, should i wipe that off before i prep it???

and i bought some 2000 degree proff blue paint, once its preped and painted im for sure going to post some pics for all u guys

anythign else i need to no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back