taking off the valve cover for my 91 accord, a few tips?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and because I'm sure that you are.

I don't doubt that it wouldn't produce those same results, I just wonder how well the paint adheres to the underlying surface.

great it baked it on there and it was engine paint

ok so the paint i have is fien then, anythign else i shoudl no untill i go and take a wack at it?

should i paint it in humidity?

or in air condition in my house?

the humidity needs to be low for it to turn out good

. Engine paint should be plently protection. That stuff is good to 600F.

Edit: I don't paint valve cover or anything really on my car. Not my taste, I like the sleeper look, hence why I have and 88 daytona. Engine block paint is meant to see higher temps than the valve cover, so you should be good with that. Just clean everything really well and rough it up good with a scotchbrite. Use paint thinner to get it nice and clean, and do a final wipe down right before you spray.

Last edited:
ok so i painted the first coat!

and it went pretty good, the blue is very flat.... is there a clear coat thats heat resistent??

well any way im going to go do another coat, wish me luck!!!

I doubt that you will find a clear that will stay clear in that type of condition. Most would turn yellowish I would imagine.

If you are looking for gloss, you should be able to do it in just a base coat. Did you buy flat/semi flat paint, or is it actually a gloss.

heres my pics, how did i do?

heres my pics, how did i do?

i love how it turned out!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 308
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 302
awww i got a problem i go tthis wierd oil cap on top of mine does that matter??? what do i do with that?

and all the hoses? do i just unplug them????

im so confused, ,

yah , i think im fine with the hoses but what do i do with this thing? is there oil in there>?

p.s.

this is not my actul car's valve cover but it will show u what i mean?

that big knob, what to do with it?

I'm sorry, I'm gonna come off like a major asshole here, but ARE YOU FREAKIN' SERIOUS?!?!?

Clearly you don't do any type of work on your car at all. If you had ever even attempted to change your own oil, you'd know all about the oil cap...please tell me this was a joke...

what are u talking about i thought this blog was to learn??

why are u making fun of me for asking questions, and trying to learn??????????

Replace the gasket when you take it off. Get a valve cover gasket set.. Auto-zone or whatever will do.. Its not a load or pressure bearing gasket. $15ish. When you put the valve cover back on, DO NOT over-tighten the bolts. It will certainly leak if you do. Just snug is fine.

Actually there is a spec to tightening valve cover bolts. its not just <i>snug</i>. id have to look at my book, but i know it is in inch lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back