Tanny Oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90vtec

I want to replace the oil in my tranny. It's a ZC motor and I believe the Tranny is the S3? What Do you guy use or what should I use. I have the factory service manual and it say 10w-30 to 10w-40? I have never used regular oil in a tranny! Alway synthetic gear oil or syncromesh. But what is right?

Here's the Service manual Recommendations:
API Service Grade: Se or SF
SAE30, 10w-30,10w-40 or 20w-40 grade oil.

Thanks!

Your transmission is an L3, not an S3... but then again, every transmission in the 4G Civics that had D blocks in them is an L3. Transmissions are labled by chassis, not by gearset.

You should use Honda Manual Transmission Fluid. It's about $5 a quart at your dealer. Pick up 2 quarts- 3 if you like to spill stuff. (I do). If you can't get Honda MTF, just use regular 10w30 motor oil. Do not use synthetic motor oil for your transmission.

Redline MTL comes highly recommended from some pretty reputable sources too.

If you have an OEM LSD in there, you might have to add some friction modifier like Trans-X to get the LSD to work quietly. I'm about to do this with my ZC LSD transmission... hopefully it'll kill the sounds that I thought were axles popping and grinding. If you don't have an LSD, don't worry about it.

Thanks guys. I'm going to drain the Synth Gear Oil (usually for differentials) and toss in some 10w-30 until I can get to the honda dealer. I live in the boonies!!! Thanks Again!!

10w30 (dino oil) will work fine. You can probably order the Honda MTF online from Manchester Honda or something like that. Give it a shot.

Back