Tax Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

So i know there is someone on here that does taxes, forgot who it was. well i owed money last year and didn't pay. yea, stupid. well now i need to know how to find out how much i owe, and what to do about it. I think i am just gonna go to H&R this year or something so they can sort it out. Do they charge based on the amount of your taxes or what? I'm ot really sure how it goes because i have always just done them online, but i feel like i always owe and everyone else says they get shit back. I have my w-4set up so i should get some back at the end of the year too.

you can either call the irs or go to your local irs office to find out how much you owe for last year including the interest and penalties

H&R will charge you by the numbers of returns and schedules you need done
you should probably just do them yourself

the amount of money you get back or owe is dependant on way too many variables, so you shouldn't assume you are doing something wrong

if you go to the local IRS office, or call them they will be more than happy to help you along the way

most places charge a flat rate plus + per form.

if you owe from last year, you now have 12 months of interest to pay too. dumbass.

if you owe each year, take out more each week.

i claim 0 and take out an additional 30/pay check.

dont worry when you file if you get any money back the irs will take that from you. Hopefully the return this year will be enough to payoff last year. if not pay them cause if you dont they can and will attach your wages.

most places charge a flat rate plus + per form.

if you owe from last year, you now have 12 months of interest to pay too. dumbass.

if you owe each year, take out more each week.

i claim 0 and take out an additional 30/pay check.
yea i know. its gonna be a bitch paying it this year.

so i just called the IRS and they said they have no fucking record of it even being filed for 2005, so i have to send a copy of it in to them, luckily i saved a .pdf from the site i used. so i owed 288, and he said the interest is currently at 7% and penalties are 1/2% a month. I have a feeling this is gonna suck

you let this get this bad over 300 bucks? damn dude... wtf. lol

so i just called the IRS and they said they have no fucking record of it even being filed for 2005, so i have to send a copy of it in to them, luckily i saved a .pdf from the site i used. so i owed 288, and he said the interest is currently at 7% and penalties are 1/2% a month. I have a feeling this is gonna suck
do you have any proof besides just the form?
did you efile or mail it?
if you mailed it, did you use certified return receipt? or have a receipt from that day
you need some kind of proof besides the form...
it won't really help though because they will still charge interest and penalties unless you mail it and have proof that you mailed it and tell them you sent a check with the return...
then you can at least you can probably get the penalty removed

you have a schedule C? PM me with more info and I can advise how you can get the most money back, sorta within the rules

pm doesnt work for me. you have messenger or something? i have a 1098-t form with money i paid for tuition and i don't know how to enter it. i am online doing the taxes for 2006 right now and i'm stuck on that.

This site hates me or some shit...
HS.JPG

why doesn't it work?
just hit the box on the top right that says private messages

1098t = tuition
goes on form 8863
and under "EDUCATION" in most tax programs

966499875 seconds
BAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

you let this get this bad over 300 bucks? damn dude... wtf. lol
:werd:

also i would go somewere and have your taxes done this year. and have them look over last years. maybe you are missing something. interest, morgage, car/motorcycle taxes. anything like that you get a tax break on..

why doesn't it work?
just hit the box on the top right that says private messages

1098t = tuition
goes on form 8863
and under "EDUCATION" in most tax programs

966499875 seconds
BAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
so am i able to use the 1098 amounts in my taxes if my mom can still claim me or does she have to claim this deduction? i just finished, havent sent it yet, but it looks like i'll be getting 222 back, so that will offset the amount my dumbass owes atleast.

yea the PM thing is fucked up. I re-registered awhile back from senate to this screenname to see if it would work now but it still doesn't. seems like i'm the only one too.

:werd:

also i would go somewere and have your taxes done this year. and have them look over last years. maybe you are missing something. interest, morgage, car/motorcycle taxes. anything like that you get a tax break on..
I really don't own shit, just my Jeep, i rent and i'm a broke ass college student. I would be getting a lot more back but my mom still claims me so i am the one that gets fucked for it.

whomever pays the tuition should claim it
does your mom pay your rent or any of your expenses?
if not she should NOT be claiming you, thats just fucked up

if you file before her then you get to claim yourself and she gets the shaft...
not sure if this is a family issue, or if you let her claim you

if you paid the tuition then you can claim it as long as she hasn't taken it already

its a touchy subject between us. basically she has payed my rent for probably the last 6 months or so, but before that i was paying it, but she was claiming me. yea i know its fucked up, but i claimed myself once and it turned pretty ugly between us. for the last 4 years she really hasn't deserved to claim me because i paid for everything without asking for any cash, but this last year she has paid for a lot more shit, so i don't care.

As far as the 1098, since i am still a dependent legally, even though i live 600 miles from my mom, the school still considers her income, soo they disqualified me from financial aid last year, so i we had to pay tuition. she paid it, so i don't care that she claims it, i just didn't know if i was supposed to or she was.

also, under education it only give the options for teh Hope Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, or Education Deduction. it doesnt allow me to do any of those since i am a dependent.

Last edited:
its a touchy subject between us. basically she has payed my rent for probably the last 6 months or so, but before that i was paying it, but she was claiming me. yea i know its fucked up, but i claimed myself once and it turned pretty ugly between us. for the last 4 years she really hasn't deserved to claim me because i paid for everything without asking for any cash, but this last year she has paid for a lot more shit, so i don't care.
did you let her know you claimed yourself before she got her taxes done?
a dependant = big tax savings
overall its prob better financially for her to claim you, she prob gets more of a tax break for it, but she should kick back a little to help you cover your tax bill
if she paid the tuition she should claim it, but if she didn't claim it she either has to ammend, or you should take it
don't know the laws about claiming tuition if you are a dependant.
check the form instructions via irs.gov

now, do you know anything about form 2106? I am in the marine corps reserves. i didn't save anything as far as reciepts for gas, so does that mean i can't use that?

2106 = unreimb business expenses

less than 1% of people ever get an audit
you only need the receipts if you get an audit
worst case scenerio is that they disallow your claim

don't the armed forces have their own gas pumps?

they have their own pumps, but you still have to pay, its like 10 cents cheaper per gallon. so should i just go through the worksheet for it or what?

Back