Tax Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well, how are you claiming this gas?
do you have to fill up work vehicles?
i'm all for saving you money on your taxes, but i don't see how you paying for gas is deductable unless they make you fill up the tank or jeep or whatever you drive

or if you use your personal vehicle for work, besides just commuting to and from your post/job

so damn stressed today. on top of this tax issue, i have to deal with VA to sort out an issue with my GI Bill benefits. They say that sometime back in 2005 they payed me aobut $725. the thing is, i never collected any benefits from them ever. I just started this semester, which started 2 months ago. so now they have taken my benefits from this last month to pay a "debt" to them for 25o dollars which is bullshit. I am probably gonna have to go to my old bank and see if they can pull up old records to show i never recieved the money.

and, yesterday i get a letter from DMV saying my license is suspended. WTF? well after my whole dui thing, which got dismissed with the courts but not with DMV, i have to keep an SR22 on file for 3 years. so i had progressive insurance, and a couple days before it was over i switched to Mercury. I was in the office and had payed and everything and they told me that they dont send the sr22, that i have to take it myself. Well it was about 6pm on a friday, and they said that it would be okay to just go into dmv whenever, since the sr22 showed that there was no time when i was uninsured. so apparently that wasn't true. DMV suspended my license as of that monday because my old policy expired sunday night, and the sr22 wasn't in their hands then. Soo i had to pay $55 dollars to get the license back when there was no physical way to even get the sr22 to them in time.

well, how are you claiming this gas?
do you have to fill up work vehicles?
i'm all for saving you money on your taxes, but i don't see how you paying for gas is deductable unless they make you fill up the tank or jeep or whatever you drive

or if you use your personal vehicle for work, besides just commuting to and from your post/job
hmm, so commute is not applicable? we do have to drive around. I dont think its gonna be worth the trouble though. the amount i get for that will probably barely cancel out the amount i have to pay to file the 1040

about all i spent in uniforms was 150 for a new dress blues jacket and the cost to have them tailored.

well, to be on the safe side you should let it stand as it is

what kind of wages/income did you have last year? w2?
w2 or 1099 and the fed's should take your refund

All of these problems sounds just like me a few years ago...

almost exactly to the "T"...except my parents never claimed me on their taxes.

Fix what you can, learn from the bad, and find a way to get above this crap. One reason I hated renting is I never really got anything back, and I didn't claim 0 for dependents until it was too late. I skipped filing a year, found out what I was doing wrong, and called the IRS people and got a sweet break...honesty worked...with a little white lie. Now I have a house, pay taxes all year, claim 0, and have an extra $20 pulled a week from my paycheck... Snagging back 6Ks from the govn a year is sweet.

Work the numbers a little more...and good luck.

Back