1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tax return for freebies?!

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by jamesA, Mar 16, 2009.

1. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

I heart my sister in law. She's filing my taxes for me without cost to me, and having my federal direct deposited.

No cost + 1300+ back federal = me happy.

A couple of debts will go bye bye with this. I'll be two steps closer to becoming as debt free as possible.

2. jamesA

yay a total of 1400 back from fed/state!

3. MthaFuknGreen

MthaFuknGreen Green on the scene.

4. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

Having a Vanguard account with enough money in it to get free turbo tax both state/fed FTMFW!

5. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

I have mine setup to where I pretty much break even at tax time. Why would you give the govt. an interest free loan? Do they return the favor? Hell no.

6. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

depends on what race you are...

7. MthaFuknGreen

:O
    [​IMG]

i get a discount from H&R block.
    but i didnt have anything to file for this year.

8. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

have you ever had anything to file?? didnt you just get your first job

9. jamesA

Ok B....

I can pay off bills with one large lump sum of 1400. Its easier this way, and I'm tired of hearing you guys go on and on about "giving governments interest free loans". Whoopty do. I got what is mine coming back to me.

I depend on a large lump sum that is my tax return every year. It's like Christmas in Feb/March to me.

10. jamesA

I'm just happy I didn't have to pay 170 to H&R Ripoff this year. Hell they're a client of ours, and they still rip us off.

11. chestercheeto48

chestercheeto48 Senior Member VIP

+1

I am the same way - I would rather a lump sum in March as opposed to the 20.00 or so a paycheck because youknow as well as I do that it would be spent on day to day items not saved. Now I have 1800.00 dollars that I can use to pay off the furniture that we bought for the house. The left over will be combined with the 2200.00 escrow check we got back last week. I am going to build a deck this summer and this should be a good chunk of that cost. It works for us - save the lecture.

12. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard VIP

I used the free version of turbo tax they have on their website. It cost me $26 bucks to do my state taxes though. I e-filed both federal and state and got it direct deposited in 8 days into my checking account. All that for $26, I suppose I won :)

13. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

turbo tax is stupid easy to use. i mean VERY VERY easy to use.

do it for yourself for free, put in your deductions, and your done.

the only time i would use an accountant is if i had a bunch of 1099's. if it's only a w-2 and a couple 1099s from banks, then it's not worth paying someone.

14. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

You can do it online with H&R block for $30; which is just state. Federal is free. :-D

15. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

even i don't use an accountant... and this is my stack of forms from alst year.

this year, i have 3 more.
    [​IMG]

16. MthaFuknGreen

i worked for my dad before, but never filed.

17. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

Each to their own, I for one would much rather invest the money. If I really wanted to get a return at the end of the year I'd rather just drop $50.00 into a savings account every paycheck then at the end of the year go WOW!!!! free money!!!!

18. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

That's what I do. :p

19. jamesA

I'm currently working on my "debt free by 2013" plan.

It includes no credit card bills or outstanding lines of credit other than my house by 2013.

Right now I have 8 open lines of credit... and all 8 have balances. 3 credit cards, one payment entitled "other", two loans (one was SUPPOSED to be paid off 3 years ago...), a car payment and the mortgage. I'm tired of it all.

My tax return will go to pay off 1 loan which wasn't closed, and as much as the rest that is necessary will return my outstanding property taxes from 2008 to a balance of zero, thus dropping my mortgage back to where it was removing the strain on myself AND Brian.

With the money I'm saving... I'LL BE ABLE TO FREAKING EAT!! YAY! What I don't use of my return will go into paying for my 1.5 week long vacation to St Louis which is coming up in August.

Anywho, I have 14 more payments on the car, possibly only 13, and I'll have 2 of 8 closed by 2010.

Large lump sum tax returns help people who actually, and simply put, live literally paycheck to paycheck. You got lucky and found a calling early. I simply didn't, you and I don't compare in any way shape or form. I'm glad that you can do that for yourself, but myself, much like quite a few others here can't.

20. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Right on man. Way to take action! I'm graduating this year with 35k in student loans and unless I get a job this next quarter 4k in personal debt and my 10k on my car. So I'm in the hole. But I am figuring out how to make money in easier ways.

At that, way to take action prioritize etc. I understand the pay check to paycheck, but I can't stress enough. If you can find a way to save 50 bucks a month do it. If you can save a couple hundred, dump it into a roth IRA. The government has set these up to help you in the long run and really protect the investor in this case. I personally already carry one, max it every year, and will until I can draw on it at age "65"ish.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted