Tax Returns-Yay

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

corvetteguy78

VIP
Welp getting $4800 back this year, already filed last week. What are you guys getting back(if you wanna say) and what are your plans with it?

I plan on getting my bathroom redid....It's been needing to get redid since i bought the place and now i think i can finally do it and have had some quotes....

My thought was to rip out the tub and have the old tiles and replace with fiberglass tub and wall surround.

Was quoted $2100 which included:

Demo and disposal of exisitng bathtub and wall tile
Labor only to disconnect and reocnnect tub drain, re-locate valve and raise shower head
Labor only to install hardie -backer on studs
Labor only to install tub and fiberglass

or $2600 to redo the tile surround

I would be buying all the Fiber glass for the tub and wall srround and hardware or tile. which would run about another $800

Another quote i got was $2700 to do a complete fiberglass wall surround and tub liner(goes over existing tub) this would include the fiberglass peices and plumbing and labor.

I have another guy comeing tonight and my dads friend coming sunday.

Those seem like good prices for anyone out there that does this for aliving or has had this done?

get 2-3 quotes, and my neighbor will come out an kill it for less money. He's awesome with electrical,...he did my garage and shed... and he's been stuck with work furloughs so he needs a few side jobs..

Swing by a some time and I'll introduce you to him.

And I haven't done my taxes yet. I should get to it this week...

depends on how much i get back. probably pay off some debt first. maybe go on a mini vacation.

or i could just go the usual route. booze, gambling, and hookers. then waste the rest.

get 2-3 quotes, and my neighbor will come out an kill it for less money. He's awesome with electrical,...he did my garage and shed... and he's been stuck with work furloughs so he needs a few side jobs..

Swing by a some time and I'll introduce you to him.

And I haven't done my taxes yet. I should get to it this week...

oo? He does tile and bathroom stuffs?

Getting about $2k back and already know the bills it has to go towards. :(

I've already filed and am getting my refund this Friday, and I just got a 1099 from my bank for a savings account that I earned like $50 in interest on. :mad: Completely forgot about it. To the tax guys: Now what?

Last edited:
see if it makes a difference on your return
if it does you need to file an amended return
or you can just wait for them to write you a letter in a year with interest and penalties
but they shouldn't amount to much cause it prob will not change your overall return much

havent done mine yet... but like every year, it will be getting split evenly between hookers and blow / coke and whores

2009 was the first year I made any kind of real money.

Around $26k in earnings.
About $9k towards school. I don't know how that affects it.

I think I'll either get my first real return or get raped because I'm a dependent student living with my parents. Also think this year will screw my financial aid for next year. No idea though. Anyone have an clue what might happen?

see if it makes a difference on your return
if it does you need to file an amended return
or you can just wait for them to write you a letter in a year with interest and penalties
but they shouldn't amount to much cause it prob will not change your overall return much

Hmm, with such a small amount, waiting might be the way to go. Heck, the first year I worked here I filed my W4 as exempt since I thought I wouldn't be working long and would make less than $4000 (That was 7 years ago now!). I paid that back by basically giving up my next 3 year's tax returns; IRS took the refunds as payments towards what I owed. Only ended up paying like $50 in interest/penalties over that time, too.

I've already filed and am getting my refund this Friday, and I just got a 1099 from my bank for a savings account that I earned like $50 in interest on. :mad: Completely forgot about it. To the tax guys: Now what?

why didn't you wait until at least january 31st? or check your account statements before you file.

you should file an amended return. save yourself the chance of getting audited.

got a question.. how much of a difference does a mortgage make when filing? like the interest paid, property taxes, etc.. single making under $20k/yr

I owe every year; on purpose. I claim 6 on my W4. The money that would normally get deducted (free loan to govt.) I invest in our ESPP to make a guaranteed 15% on. Right now I'm making 30% on that money. So when I pay at the end of the year, I actually made a few grand extra by investing it myself.

got a question.. how much of a difference does a mortgage make when filing? like the interest paid, property taxes, etc.. single making under $20k/yr
Huge difference when making more.. not sure it will have much impact on you though since you're hardly paying any taxes anyways.

will the return be much higher w/ the mortgage stuff, rather than with just the work stuff

I owe every year; on purpose. I claim 6 on my W4. The money that would normally get deducted (free loan to govt.) I invest in our ESPP to make a guaranteed 15% on. Right now I'm making 30% on that money. So when I pay at the end of the year, I actually made a few grand extra by investing it myself.

yeah thats great if you manage your money so that you can save up and estimate what your going to owe when it comes down to it, pretty smart move

yeah thats great if you manage your money so that you can save up and estimate what your going to owe when it comes down to it, pretty smart move
Its actually not that hard. You can calculate what would be withheld if you claimed 0 as apposed to claiming any other number. You take the difference of what would have normally been withheld and invest that in something short term.

im getting about $900 back from federal and about $175 from state. i plan on getting tires for my wheels and im putting the rest in the bank.

Hopefully I'll get enough back to buy a couple hard drives and still pay a few months bills.

Back