TB compatibility question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shorty3788

what TB can be used with the d16a6 intake manifold? only that specific one? can i use an EG TB?

almost all 4 cylinder TB bolt on :D the only ting that change is the position of the sensors on the TB. Port + match the intake manifold to....

Originally posted by hybridalien@Sep 12 2004, 12:50 PM
almost all 4 cylinder TB bolt on :D the only ting that change is the position of the sensors on the TB. Port + match the intake manifold to....
[post=389310]Quoted post[/post]​

so will this cause any problems, the position of the sensors i mean. i'm doing my mpfi swap and i'm going to by the IM/fuel rail/injectors but it doesn't come with a tb, so i was wondering if i could use an EG one i already have (which was sent to me by mistake). i didn't get what you mean by port+match the intake manifold to...

Originally posted by Blanco@Sep 12 2004, 02:16 PM
To clarify his question, I've heard that TB's are OBD sensitive.  Is this true?
[post=389342]Quoted post[/post]​

1)the port + match thing is overbore the intake where the TB bolt on to be the same size as the throttle body bore. ex:B18C5 = 62mm so you need to match the intake to the size of the ITR to take all the benefit of the swap.
and yes you can use an eg TB

2)TPS
TPS mean:Throttle Position Sensor(it's a variable resitance whit an output
voltage of 0.5v fully closed to 5.0v at WOT regardless of OBD version)

You will probably need to route some vacuum + cooling lines and rewire TPS sensors

3)OBD(on board diagnostic)

OBD0(1980)
Make specific diagnostic (no standards)

OBD1(1988)
gaz feed control
EGR:exhaust gaz recirculation
O2 sensors
CEL light
electronic motor control(fuel injection)
OBD1 do not meet the antipollution exigences so in 1990 the CARB
(California Air Resources Board)begin a new reglementation named
OBD2(end of the reform 1994).

OBD2(1996)
one standard connector (all makes)
codes are now uniformised (all makes)
CEL on +/-1.5X polluant emissions CARB standards
Faster ECU
EVAP(canitistor) circuit improved
Electric composants have now a
normalised vocabulary
mecanician facility to have repair
information
Another O2 sensor right after the CAT
"Drive Cycle":Cycle for diagnostic that alow the computer to test at least 1X ALL THE COMPONENTS(the CAT + EVAP are excluded because they require a constant speed to test)
A Crank Fluctuations sensor(misfires)
Drive cycle not complete = CEL

OBD3(future)
fault detection time reduced
CARB talk about GPS to control pollution (crazy sound like the Big Brother thing)

Dates in () are the first release

thats all the differences between OBD's

oops forgot to talk about obd2a + obd2b

obd2a= boggy odb2 the main fault is the second O2 sensor right after the CAT is disable cause it trow a CEL code and by cause a premature wear on the CAT(some kind of a recall as far as i know.)

obd2b=fully working OBD2(like a second revision if you want)

I hope it clear it all B)

Back