1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDC question

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by g2ooo, Jul 1, 2005.

1. g2ooo

g2ooo Junior Member

ok im trying to put my b18a to tdc by cranking counterclockwise as i been told. but the crank bolt is unscrewing when i do so. isn't this crank bolt suposed to be on really really tight anyways? how else can i do this? im just tryin to get my head to tdc before i pull it off. any help would be great.

2. hybrid89

hybrid89 thistownsucks...

did you lossen the bolt forst, or is it just that loose?

3. hybrid89

hybrid89 thistownsucks...

oh yeah...BTW- you don't get 0you0r head to TDC. lol...you set you pistons at TDC>. you could easily do this after the head is removed also.

4. B16CRX

B16CRX Senior Member

you could use a chain wrench on teh pulley to rotate it.

5. g2ooo

g2ooo Junior Member

i didn't loosen up the bolt, it was already loose. using a chain wrench to rotate the pulley sounds about right. the thing is that one of my piston is just stuck/broke or something and looks like it doesn't let me rotate the crank. if i just pull the head off, how do i adjust the cams to shows the arrows up?? can i just spin them or what?

6. g2ooo

g2ooo Junior Member

7. B16CRX

B16CRX Senior Member

8. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

just for clarification, do not spin your cams with your head still attatched. Could cause valve damage.

Also, Your crank pully bolt should be on so tight that you should have to say at least two dozen curse words and break a sweat before it loosens. If you are having to pry on it that hard to turn your motor, STOP.. You might be making whatever problem you have worse!

And you should, if you are fairly strong, be able to turn your motor by hand...

9. g2ooo

g2ooo Junior Member

thanks for the info guys, im goin to work on it tonight. as for the pully bolt, it wasn't hard at all. from what i heard it is the bolt from HELL!!! but i unscrewed it like it was nothing... maybe the previous owner changed the timing belt because the belt looked pretty new.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted