Tech help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
I got a 94 civic hatch mt and for awhile now the coolant gauge has been pinned on cold. Since then, I don't believe my rad. fan comes on either. After about 20 mins+ of my car being on I can tell it is running hot because there is a lot of heat coming through the fire wall and it starts idling low. Also fuel consumption is high.

Anyway for the time being, I would like to fix it while i'm saving up for a swap but I can't afford to pay a mechanic. I already changed the thermostat and that didn't work. I believe the problem is a sensor but i'm not too sure if it is and which one. What sensor is responsible for the problem. I found three on this little manual i dloaded. Temperature gauge sender, thermoswitch, and TW sensor.

Thanks for any help

Also I checked fuse 15 under the dash, it looked fine. There is a cooling fan relay under the hood but I don't know how to test those. Anyway, I still might think its a one of those sensors.

BUMP

My heater does work..it takes atleast 12-15 mins for it come on. Then after that lately it gets a little cool and gets warm again. I'm pretty sure I have coolant in the rad. I filled it up when my upper rad. hose blew. My overflow tank is still full so i'm assuming i do.

Your overflow tank isn't supposed to have fluid in it when the car is off. If is there so that when you are running and the pressure builds, it has somewhere to move the fluid to so it doesn't blow. Take off your radiator cap and start your car, let it run till the thermostat opens and the system circulates ("burping" it, you may have air stuck inthere that is preventing the coollant from circuating under pressure), you'll see a slight drop in level, put cap back on. See if that helps.

I did what you said, I took off the rad. cap and stood there for 20 mins staring at the rad. looking for a "burp" or slight drop in the coolant with the car on. Nothing happened except for a little steam coming out probably from the coolant heating up. The rad. fan still did not come on and the needle was still pinned on cold.

Anything else? :(

I would recomend to start over. drain coolant, put a new thermostat in. some people do a faulty instalation. There is alittle ball at the top of the thermostat which should be placed straigt up in the the thermostat housing. Use a new thermostat gasket and put back together. Fill radiator first with coolant intill topped off. Yes there should be coolant in the overflow tank!!! about 1/3 or half way. there should be a cold line on the tank. Now start your car, and allow it to run for about 5mins and top it off. Put a brand new radiator cap in those will cause over heating problems!!! if they dont seal right. Then there is a coolant bleeder valve on the thermostat houseing. Crack it open while the car is running intill you get a stream . Kinda like bleeding your brakes. Allow the air to exscape and close.. continue. Other problems could include your temp sensor on the side of your head or the fan relay bro. good luck

yes start over with fluid, like someone said you could have some air trapped in there and even taking the cap off and letting it run might not get it out. you can try squeezing the radiator hoses while its on and have the cap off but if the air is trapped in the block then its hard to get out..

Back