Tech: LS Swap Problems Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

c3nario

Just recently did a full rebuild on my B18A1 motor and have been driving it for about 3000 miles and seems to be burning oil quite a bit. I'm having to put about half a quart of oil in about every two weeks and I'm driving about 500 miles within the week. Not sure is there rings are bad due to it burning so much oil or if the motor still hasn't been broken in. It smokes a little when I start the car, but seems to go away after about a minute in a half or so. Does anyone know what may be the problem? Do you think I would need to rebuild it again? Please help.

Do you see anywhere were oil is leaking or seeping? Maybe re-torque your head bc sometimes when you rebuild a motor within the first 1,000 miles or so the motors heating and cooling cycle will loosen the head enough for some seepage of oil.

Last edited:
This is true^^
How did you break it in?
How was the cylinder honed?
Type of pistons (material)?

I don't see any leaking at all, I try to check it regularly for any leaks and to make sure that I have enough oil. I broke in by driving around town and highway miles as well. Not sure if I drove on the highway way too soon or not. The pistons are just stock pistons I believe, so nothing changed while doing the rebuild and not exactly sure how the cylinders were honed because I had a friend do everything for me.

you should've done some quick accelerations and motor breaking to seat the rings in good.
Might have put it on the highway too soon. Some say constant rpm's (Highway driving) is bad for a new motor's break in process....but others may disagree

First things you need to do are compression/leak down tests. With these two tests you can find your problem without opening up the engine. You can get the testers fairly cheap and it's not hard to do. You can find lots od how to articles on the both of them. I'd link you one, but I'm on my phone.

If I were you, I'd slide a piece of cardboard under the engine over night and check it for oil in the morning to ensure you have.no leaks. That's only if you park in the grass or w/e.

I agree. Leak down test for sure. You can actually buy the tool cheap or make it cheaper if you have a welder, air fitting for compressor, and an old spark plug for the motor. Snap the porcelain off so there's just the metal threaded part and weld the air fitting to it....thread it into the head and you got a leak down tester....

I also agree that you should google how to do this leak down test and it will tell you what the results mean

I didn't even think of that. Thanks so much for the idea, hopefully I'll be able to find out where its coming from.

Back