Tein Basic vs Neuspeed/Tokico setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
Anyone have experience with the Tein basic coilover setup? http://machiii.net/suspension/tein/tein_basic.html
I think I'd like to go that route, but haven't heard any reviews.
Or would it just be better to spend $120 on Neuspeed springs and $300 for Tokico Illuminas?
My use would be the casual auto-x and daily driver. I want some comfort in driving, and don't want to drop more than 1.75"

Not trying to threadjack...but I was gonna start a way-too-similar thread. My current set-up sucks ass. I got some full coilovers off egay and they sent me the wrong ones (race spec instead of street). I figured I was better off with more room for lowering (0 - 4" vs 0 -2") but they ride like shit...way too rough. So now I'm looking at a Hayame full coilover set up with tokico struts for around $700 shipped:

- Shock is manufactured by Tokico, and it is replaceable!
- 3 Locking Perch Mechanism: 2 for springs height adjustment; 1 for strut length adjustment.
- Adjustable Strut Length allows you to lower your race car WITHOUT COMPRESSING THE SHOCK or ADDING EXTRA STRESS ON THE SPRING! That means the Hayame Suspension Kit is still in OPTIMAL Performance.
- Equipped with Rubber Dust Sleeve Protectors to ensure durability in all driving conditions.
- Added Spring Isolators to eliminate clanking noise!
- 0-4 inches adjustable height.

or kyb agx adjustables with tein s tech springs for around $500 shipped. (Also would you go with kyb or tokico because I can get a good deal on those as well.)

If you are worried about drop, don't get springs, get something you can adjust...Cars always vary, even if a web site says a certain drop rate on your car. It may drop it lower than you want.

I'm not trying to just drop it...the set-up now can be dropped enought to tuck a 1/2 the sidewall...it's all about ride quality now. I have it sitting about a 1/4" to 1/2" above the top of the tire right now. Where would 2" front and 1.4" rear drop put me. I'm guessing about the same height...but I want to be sure before I do anything. So if you know of anyone who has a set up with the s-tech springs let me know. Thanks for the input! All in all, I agree with getting coilovers vs springs because of the adjustability...but I know some people prefer springs so I was willing to give them a try. Anything would be an improvement at this point.

Originally posted by Prowler@Apr 16 2004, 12:14 PM
Anyone have experience with the Tein basic coilover setup? http://machiii.net/suspension/tein/tein_basic.html
I think I'd like to go that route, but haven't heard any reviews.
Or would it just be better to spend $120 on Neuspeed springs and $300 for Tokico Illuminas?
My use would be the casual auto-x and daily driver. I want some comfort in driving, and don't want to drop more than 1.75"

Back on track with the thread....

You have two different setups there- one with adjustable height but not damping, and another with adjustable damping but not height. I've been very happy with my Tein setup. I'm sure that if you get a Basic kit, the spring rates and the damping will be matched up pretty well- then you can just set the height exactly where you want it and go play.

If you really think you'll play with damper settings often, then you might want to go with the Illuminas and the Neuspeed springs- the Basics would probably be a damn good choice though.

Most of the time, you set the adjustable shocks where the damping matches the spring and just leave them there anyway. That's what I do. Most off the shelf adjustable shocks don't give you small enough increments for damping adjustment- so one click from ideal will leave you feeling under or over damped. I would just get the set that's already matched- but that's just me.

haven't heard good reviews on the Basics after some research. so now it's a spring/strut combo.

the choice now is this:

Tein S Tech - $140
Neuspeed Sport - $140
Eibach - $180

all prices are shipped via eBay

if i was you i would add Progress springs to your choice. Im having the same dilema. Though im not gonna be able to afford shocks just yet. But at the same time i may decide to do a full coilover.

both progress and Teins have pretty Soft spring rates.

Eibach makes 90% of all highquality springs.

The Nuespeed race spring is on the stiff side and drops the car pretty low.

Prowler on my crx is which I use for the occasional autox and aggressive driving habits. I'm using Neuspeed sport springs with kyb agx shocks.

I like the setup very much so. the adjustable damping is great. I can set for a nice long smoother firm ride, or for a really tight aggressive suspension.

but of course I find myself just leaving it set in the very tight aggressive mode and my car doesn't even know it's taking corners if anything I could use a rear sway bar now.

keep in mind these are for a crx, but I'm sure the spring rates are very close for 88-mid 90's civics

neuspeed sport (green) p/n 55.20.07
drop 2.0" front 1.8" rear
spring rate 300lb/in front, 225lb/in rear, linear,
(these are the green spring, not yellow which are neuspeed race)

eibach sportline p/n 4.0740
drop 1.7" front 1.5" rear
spring rates 274.1lb/in front, 97/228 lb/in rear, progressive

Progress does ther best at making 1G cars for the most part. So i am interested after talking to a few friends and viewing there web site. Take a look and read befor making choices. Alot of people only end up using lowering springs on stock shocks, so there always gonna say "whoopty whoop" about this spring and that spring. So at the very least look for more then "just" opinions try and find right ups from the company and if it sounds like a buncha garbled shit chances are it is, but it works both ways, dont let them sell you something to good to be true. I personaly would like to try some neuspeeds on some AGX's or something but dont think i will ever buy a neuspeed spring over something like eibach or something. But maybe who knows.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Apr 21 2004, 03:12 PM
both progress and Teins have pretty Soft spring rates.

Eibach makes 90% of all highquality springs.

The Nuespeed race spring is on the stiff side and drops the car pretty low.

S-Tech = soft
Progress = not soft

I called Progress about their spring rates a while back, and I think I remember them telling me that they run 320 lb/in up front and something like 200 lb/in in the back. That's definitely stiffer than the S-Techs. This was for the 92-95 Civic application.

I have the tein basics and love them, they have the same spring rates at the Tein SS, just with out the 16 way adjustiblilty. However they have a pretty heavy spring rate to them.

Damn, I was going to suggest the KW variant 2, but apparently in the states they cost $600 more than they do here, but they are height and rebound adjustable, very nice. Damn, I am going to have to stock up before come back to the states.

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/coilovers.htm

Back