tein ss coilovers ...suggestions opinions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evilgsr

after a little research ive decided id like to go with a FULL sleeveless coilover system for my suspension ...wondering if anyone on here had tein ss coilovers on their gsr,ect and if so what they thought of them. My plans are to keep the car at a reasonable height for daily driving and get it aligned then for auto x lower it to whatever height and then, when im done, raise it back up to the original height and itll still be in right alignment for daily driving again, or so im assuming <_< anyways just looking for some info/experiences on them thanks

yeh not too keen on the hydros...ride height adjustment isn't an advantage of having coilovers, im confused i wasn't intrested in changing my ride height for aesthetic purposes either...

coilovers are designed to allow a PERFECT balanced setup, via corner balancing. a little up here, a little down there, and you can achieve better handeling dynamics of a balanced chassis.

i understand your'e not into hydros- i was being fecitious (sp?) about that.

but quite honestly, being slammed does NOT make you handel better.

if you drop correctly and get it balanced correctly, a minial drop will be perfect. you won't want to raise it up and down each day. its not a 2 min thing. it takes a good half hour probably- if not more- not jack up each coner, count the turns you make, re-lock them blah blah. and at the end of the day, you really have NO idea how you have them set up. is one higher than the other? 2 or 3 threads you can't tell by sight, but the car will feel it.

ahh ok i see then,thanks for explaining , i do suppose i had the wrong idea of exactly how to use them, the adjustability is the #1 reason i want them, though i obviously don't know a whole lot about it yet, but i see what you mean now that the overall drop doesn't have to be so drastic just that the ride height is adjustable for fine tuning of the suspension , as well as the stiffness of the shocks
..what do you think of them as coilovers good, bad, overpriced? i dont want them for the shear fact that they say tein on them ive heard that the quality is impeccable,ect but im just looking for a little more info/personal experiences on them compared to other sleeveless coilover systems (koni,ect)...

Ya know with all that said B you didnt even say the word Corner weight. Evil GSR, you need to find some reading material on corner weight balancing. But All POS said is right, i even think he owned a set of the SS at one point.

oh i know hes right im actually doing some reading now on it... B)

Where can you get a car corner balanced??? Do many auto places have corner scales? I'm wondering, because when I intall my coilovers I would like to do it right! (Sorry, I don't mean to threadjack)

B had a set of HAs I think- definitely not the SSs though.

You can get your car corner balanced at performance shops all over the place- you just have to know which ones have the scales. :)

Originally posted by ktanaka@Dec 8 2004, 01:28 PM
Where can you get a car corner balanced??? Do many auto places have corner scales? I'm wondering, because when I intall my coilovers I would like to do it right! (Sorry, I don't mean to threadjack)
[post=428628]Quoted post[/post]​

Naw thats a good question, i have never had to get it done so i dont know. I would bet a high end tuner shop would do it. but other then that dunno.

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 8 2004, 01:34 PM

You can get your car corner balanced at performance shops all over the place- you just have to know which ones have the scales. :)
[post=428633]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL yeah i didnt wanna talk shit but none of the tein line up impress's me accept there higher end stuff. I think theres better options for the money. but what do i know.

FWIW, I wouldn't waste my money on Tein bling. If you want a real performance shock with documented performance and a product that has shock dyno data available on it, get some OTS Koni yellows. Nobody has any idea what the hell is going on inside a Tein damper, and where can you get it rebuilt in the US? The Konis will handle 500 lb spring rates off the shelf, can be revalved to any spring rate you want and even converted to double adjustable. All of this can be done in the US by Koni who has a long history of making racing products. Koni also supports autocrosses and road racers by having a Koni trailer at national level events for service, parts, and rebuilds. I am sure Tein could give a shit about autocrossing; they just want to sell coilover kits and dampa-tchi dolls.

Along with the Yellows, you can pick up some Koni specific Ground Controls that include Eibach ERS springs and can be ordered with any spring rate. Replacement springs are $50/pair and Eibach makes the best springs in the world. Well enough of my rant, good luck :)

Originally posted by UDT+Dec 8 2004, 03:36 PM-->
@Dec 8 2004, 01:34 PM

[post=428633]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL yeah i didnt wanna talk shit but none of the tein line up impress's me accept there higher end stuff. I think theres better options for the money. but what do i know.
[post=428639]Quoted post[/post]​

a lot. lol i have the HA's, which are the more expensive predecessor to the SS's, and frankly, i can't stand them.

silkroad is where its at.
http://www.festivegarage.com/store/product...&products_id=74

Back