Tein SS or FLEX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ekPhred

Hello all?!? I was going to invest in Tein SS's or FLEX's very soon as was wondering if you need a camber kit on the SS because it doesn't come with pillow mounts. I was leaning toward the FLEX's because I wanted the pillow mounts, do they really make a difference? are they an alternative to camber kits? Please point me in the right direction because I'm planning on buying a set in the next week or two. Thanx in advance for the opinions, Peace! :spin:

Personally, I like the Flex's because they're pretty much complete. You can also add the EDFC which is very cool with Flex's. It allows you to adjust stiffness with a touch of a button from inside your car.

i really enjoyed the ss's on the track, they're a great setup. i'm riding on ha's now, after this weekend i'll let you know how they handle compared to the ss's. never ridden in a car with the flex's, so i dont know much about them, they do look good though. i like the fact that with the flex's you can lower the height of the damper itself also, when adjusting height. that way you dont loose any suspension travel.

B16, thanx man. If you don't mind, would you either PM me your results or post them here. I'm not saying that the SS's are garbage, I just rather have the pillow mounts with them as well. Did you install any kind of camber kit with your SS's? because like i said I'm planning on getting the suspension really soon, thanx again!

ya, on the ss's i got the pillow mounts, however this time with the ha's i'm using itr upper mounts. i dont feel any difference thus far. i didn't have any camber kit besides shims on the rear upper control arm. the ha's are supposed to be exactly the same as the ss's but with stiffer spring rates.

The HAs are NOT the exact same as the SS with stiffer springs. The rates are much higher, and the shock valving is different. The HA uses 45mm pistons, while the SS uses 12mm (I think). The SS is basically just a street system with adjustable height and damping/rebound- it doesn't compare to the HA.

FLEX >> SS

The FLEX has higher spring rates, more aggressive valving, and independently adjustable spring preload and shock body length. You can corner weight and get your ride height exactly right at the same time. It also comes with pillowball mounts, which the SS have only as an option.

Calesta - Yea, I was thinking of going all out since I'm going to get a suspension like that, so I was leaning towards the FLEX's. I'm going to find out how much they are tomorrow from a buddy of mine. So you can get the pillow mounts as an option for the SS? I want to get the FLEX's because I wanna take my car out canyon racing once I get everything done...

TEINmenu.jpg

SS >Flex

Sup Brian, long time no see, this is Fred from San Diego, how is your motor coming along? I havent been online in a hot minute! Is there truth to that graph? It's pretty slick, care to elaborate on why SS > FLEX?

Pillowball mounts are basically solid ball joints in place of your rubber shock mounts... you know, that rubber bushing that goes in between the shaft and the mount plate that bolts to your car's strut tower. It gives you more response, but a slightly harsher ride. The advantage is the removal of play in the suspension system, at least where the strut mounts to the chassis.

Brian- if you actually read what makes up the SS and the FLEX system, you'd see that the FLEX is definitely a higher level kit than the SS. Put the dumb chart down and read through the technical bits.

personally, i don't care for either. that's me. and i hate all suspension. lol

fred- waaz up man... still waiting.... but soon.

ACURA Integra
DC2/4(not Type-R) 94-01 FLEX DSA00-6USS1
F 9/504
R 4/224

ACURA Integra
DC2/4(not Type-R) 94-01 SS DSH96-KUSS2
F 8/448
R 6/336

i dont know anout the flex or ha having higher spring rates nessesarily. looks like it would promote more understeer with those rates, correct? and i was under the impression the the ss were identical to the ha minus the helper spring. where did you find all those specs mike?

the ss's are not identical to the ha's. the body is totally different, has a little different valving, doesn't have a pillowball mount, doesn't have helper springs.

my ha's 8kg Front and 6kg rear. (447/335)

here's what i think:

I think my front spring is too tight, while the shock is too loose
and the rears spring is perfect, but the shock is too tight.

i've messed with every setting, and i just can't dial them in to what i want.

Brian, hurry up and put that shiet in yo!!!!!

Does anybody in this forum have FLEX's installed into their ride? I like the idea of the EDFC and changing the settings while i'm in my car.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 16 2003, 08:28 AM
the ss's are not identical to the ha's. the body is totally different, has a little different valving, doesn't have a pillowball mount, doesn't have helper springs.

from what i had heard, the valving was the same, but i can't find any definate info to say either. the HA's do not come with pillow mounts, those are still seperate, the only difference on the body that i can find is the HA's will not allow you to drop your car as low, mine are to almos the bottom of the threads, and it does not look that low. and i hate those fucking helper springs... helper my ass, they just make it more difficult to adjust the height.

lol B16, yea, once you test out your HA's on the track, please let me know as soon as you can, I will find out the price I can get for the FLEX's hopefully tonight, I'll keep you guys updated.....

What the helper springs do is when you dip your tires, hit a big bump what ever and your body goes up but your wheels stays down low, the little helper spring pushes on main spring to keep it in place. With out this, the spring could rotate or not seat properly when the car returns to equalibrium

Back