Tein Ss Or Ground Controls?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i tried 6 different places trying to get HA's all said the SS is the HA replacement. i have them now (ss's), and i love them, i dont know why Bill and Brian knock them so much.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 9 2003, 06:11 PM
get the Suspension Techniques Speedtech Sway Bar System (about 300).... it comes with the most badd ass tie bar ive ever seen

You mean this one? :eek:
s3e472c8f6ade4.jpg

ok SS stand for SUPER STREET . . . you know like "stupid" street the mag . .. yeah. . . and look at the specs for the two kits on the links i posted above . . THEY ARE NOT THE SAME . . . and besides the SS kit is like the same price, so you say 900 plus pillow ball mounts for 150 EACH for a grand total of . .. drum roll please. . . . 1500 . . .you see the HA kit is better and the same price. . .so go HA or with a skunk2 or ground control koni yellow KYB AGX combo if you want a nice comfortable ride that the 1500 SS kit will give you

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 9 2003, 11:44 PM
You mean this one? :eek:
s3e472c8f6ade4.jpg

yup thats the setup ... that pic does no justice to the tie bar

I think i have my mind set up, KYB AGX shocks, Suspension Techniques Speedtech Sway Bar, ground control springs (not sure of what stiffness but probally like 400f/250ish rear) and then the bushings. Strut tower bars will be placed on hold for about a month after i get everything intalled. Suspention part 1, total, just about 1100. Also i will spend another 300 just about the same time for tires, damn i need more cash <_<

agx's suck
mad bouncy y0!

those spring rates are lame. 600/800 is more like it.

look around- you can get HA's still. I think brian wong has a set for sale w/o pillow's for 850 or something.

don't buy anything yet. look around more

then should i go with the koni's. The HA's sound sweet but for a 16 year old kid, they seam a tad out of my price range. Are the pillow ball mounts a must? What do they really do?

pillow ball mounts basicly "hard mount" the shock/spring assembly to your car instead of the oem rubber bushing top hat design . . . you have to sacrifice comfort for handling . . . bottom line . . . i say its worth it

Originally posted by wildbillhatchbac@Feb 10 2003, 12:47 AM
bottom line . . . i say its worth it

NOTHING compares to the teins on my car that i've driven on, friends cars, and so on

Originally posted by wildbillhatchbac@Feb 10 2003, 12:47 AM
pillow ball mounts basicly "hard mount" the shock/spring assembly to your car instead of the oem rubber bushing top hat design . . . you have to sacrifice comfort for handling . . . bottom line . . . i say its worth it

For $150 a piece, I'd definitely disagree. The upper mounting doesn't even have anything to do with wheel alignment, so it's not like the stock mounts sacrifice any fundamental suspension performance in terms of alignment. What are the primary drawbacks here of a stock mount vs. a needle bearing mount?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+-->
pissedoffsol) said:
itr lca's which you can pick up from chris for 85 shipped.

Chris who? I want. :lol:

pissedoffsol

agx's suck
mad bouncy y0!

I disagree... just because you have something more expensive doesn't mean that the AGXs suck. They're extremely good for the money, and are great with aftermarket springs or coilover sleeves. Now if you're willing to spend the cash, TEIN, JIC or something else is a really nice way to go. Not everyone wants to do this. Quit being so high and mighty.

chris on here- send him a pm r check out rcrewracing.com

high and mighty? no. my buddy jeremy has skunk2/agx set up and its bouncy as hell - albeit better than ractive :)

Ok, I'll PM him.

I'll take that up with you later. :D

On the Skunk2/AGX setup- almost everyone I've talked to with Skunk2 coilover sleeves has complained about bounciness no matter what shocks they were installed on- so I would attribute that much more to the springs than the shocks.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 10 2003, 04:29 AM
my buddy jeremy has skunk2/agx set up and its bouncy as hell - albeit better than ractive :)

Bouncy means too much spring for not enough shock, not bad shocks. There's nothing wrong with KYB, the problem with your friend's setup is his overly stiff springs. And that's not to say that KYB's valving is fantastic, just that it isn't meant for really stiff springs (which, in turn, aren't meant for street use).

ok dude- now you have NO excuse NOT to get HA's if you are willing to get the SS's, 1090 for the HA's is not a bad price at all... only a couple bucks more. get the dc2 R model, and a set of itr lca's and bam- you have a kick ass set up.
the bars and shit can wait :)

the link is wack... copy this:
Code:
http://www.rpmmotoring.com/cgi-bin/CATstore.pl?user_action=list&category=Suspension;Tein;Type HA Damper

and you can always get the pillow mounts later =)

I know that I'm a little late for this, but I would either go with the HA or the SS. You are correct with the prices of the SS ($950-shipped) and something like $150-a set of pillow mounts. Pillow mounts aren't necessary, they will just make the ride stiffer and bumpier. Collin you can reuse your upper pillow mounts from honda. We do sell almost all that stuff, so I hope that you would contact ALLJDM for that purchase. Plus you can't get enough JDM Tein stuff. So I would go with the tein suspension!!!

Originally posted by wildbillhatchbac@Feb 9 2003, 08:47 PM
ok SS stand for SUPER STREET . . . you know like "stupid" street the mag . .. yeah. . . and look at the specs for the two kits on the links i posted above . . THEY ARE NOT THE SAME . . . and besides the SS kit is like the same price, so you say 900 plus pillow ball mounts for 150 EACH for a grand total of . .. drum roll please. . . . 1500 . . .you see the HA kit is better and the same price. . .so go HA or with a skunk2 or ground control koni yellow KYB AGX combo if you want a nice comfortable ride that the 1500 SS kit will give you

i know SS stands for Super Street, although i dont see where you make the connection with that name and the magazine, no where have i read they made it for the magazine, maybe that is why you dislike them so much. i looked at the links you provided and the only difference i see is the helper spring, and the HA seems to be more descriptive. they are both 16 level adjustable, both can be overhauled if you want stiffer spring rates, it looks like the only difference is it is more street friendly (i'm assuming because of different spring rates). I'm still failing to see how the HA is so much "better", have you ridden on SS's to compare to the HA's? i know people that have, and they say there is no difference, but all you can say is "they are better" without any further explaination. Maybe its because they are only JDM now, and whatever is JDM is better? i personally would like a better explaination as to why one is so much better than the other, and the links you posted do not seem to provide that information. The pillow mounts are 150 for 2, so its 300 for the set of pillow mounts, which gives you a grand total of 1200 for the coilovers with pillow mounts. I would perfer a technical explanation instead of your "LMAO stupid streets are for Sport handling and driving comfort combined, HA is not" that doesn't work for me.

EDIT: i'm not trying to start a tein suspension war here, nor am i saying you dont know what you're talking about, i would just like a clearer explanation because you seem so dead set on it, and i would like to know why. just thought i'd add that so people dont bite my head off :p

the ss are the exact same thing as the ha as far as the shocks. the response rate/valving is the same as well as the piston diameter. the shock casing (steel) is the same as well. the only difference is that the SS do not come with the helper springs. other than that they are identical. the only reason that they are cheaper is that tein usa wanted to release a product that was a full coilover and relatively cheap in order to compete. by cutting back the use of the helper spring it cut down the cost to where the ss is now.

and if u think HAs are stiff try some RA/RE with some 22k and 18k rates. :blink: ouch

edit; and yes $85 shipped for the itr rear lca, got a set of used HAs as well since we are talking about them.

and forgot the DC2 rates are the same, the civic are a lil softer

Back