Telling B16 motors apart?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d2b

Hello i just wanted to know how can you tell the jdm b16a1 motor and the jdm b16a2 motor apart, visually?

thanx

The b16a2 is a USDM engine only. It ONLY came in the USDM 99-00 Si and Canadian SiR's. So, if it says b16a2 on the block (the stamp is on the distributor side of the block, in the front below the head), then it's a USDM engine.

I'm not sure if the b16a1 will have b16a1 stamped on the block though. Never seen one up close.

yeah i know but there are 2 different jdm b16 motors.

there is the jdm b16a1 which i believe came in 88-91 civics and crx's, and there is the jdm b16a2 which came in 92-95 civic sir II's. The b16a2 has 10 more hp.

what i want to know is how to tell these apart?

well the head always has the date stamped on it on the exhaust side. also they are different obd's. if they have the same plugs as yours its the same obd

its not a b16a2....its just a b16a....no number afterwards...on the sirII the VTEC will be bigger than the DOHC and on the sir b16a1 the other way around

Quoted post[/post]]

there is the jdm b16a1 which i believe came in 88-91 civics and crx's, and there is the jdm b16a2 which came in 92-95 civic sir II's. The b16a2 has 10 more hp.

For the obd1 jdm b16, the name on the block is just b16a, there is no number, only the b16a2 came in the usa, the engine your thinking of is the b16a SiR 2.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

For the obd1 jdm b16, the name on the block is just b16a, there is no number, only the b16a2 came in the usa, the engine your thinking of is the b16a SiR 2.

I have a B16A from the Civic SiRII (92-95), and that one has B16A stamped on the front passenger side of the block. I don't know about the 1st generation B16A, I've never seen one.

look at the serial numbers. the first gen (b16a1 as you're referring to it as) will start with a 1. the second gen will start with a 5.

and where does the jdm sir II motor redline at? i know the usdm sir is 8200, i think the jdm one is 8400 isnt it?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
i could swear that my b16a has a 1 after the a
That's because it does, because it's JDM y0. No seriously, there is a "1" after it.
only the "one million series" first generation jdm b16's had a 1 following the A. most first gen. b16's were just stamped with "B16A"... i've seen quite a few first gen jdm b16a's, but never a b16a1. they're very rare.

Quoted post[/post]]
where exactly on the head is the date stamped

its on the lower left side of the front, right below the "B16A"

Quoted post[/post]]
and where does the jdm sir II motor redline at? i know the usdm sir is 8200, i think the jdm one is 8400 isnt it?
8800 rpm or so I've always read. But you ain't gonna rev it that high unless you're insane. It makes peak power in stock form at around 7200 rpm if I remember correctly. If you modify the shit out of it you can make it rev into the 9000's and make better power up there, but not stock.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
where exactly on the head is the date stamped

its on the lower left side of the front, right below the "B16A"
no that is where the engine code and serial number are stamped on the block. he's asking where the year it was cast is stamped on the head. and it's not actually stamped, it's part of the casting. it's right above the header. hold on... i'll go take a pic of a head i have in a minute.

EDIT:
b16-head.jpg

you can see above that this head was cast in '90, according to the mark inbetween the 1st and 2nd exhaust ports on the distributor side.
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
8800 rpm or so I've always read. But you ain't gonna rev it that high unless you're insane. It makes peak power in stock form at around 7200 rpm if I remember correctly. If you modify the shit out of it you can make it rev into the 9000's and make better power up there, but not stock.
no. as already stated in this thread, b16a's stock rev limit is right around 8200.

Quoted post[/post]]
look at the serial numbers. the first gen (b16a1 as you're referring to it as) will start with a 1. the second gen will start with a 5.

From what I recall, the first gen B16s that started with a 1 were from the JDM Integra XSi. The first gen B16s that started with a 5 come from the Civic/CRX SiR. So basically, the serial number denotes what car it came from not what year it was manufactuerd.

Quoted post[/post]]
i could swear that my b16a has a 1 after the a

Yes, some do. It's the only exception to the "there's no number after the letter on JDM motors" rule.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

From what I recall, the first gen B16s that started with a 1 were from the JDM Integra XSi. The first gen B16s that started with a 5 come from the Civic/CRX SiR. So basically, the serial number denotes what car it came from not what year it was manufactuerd.
no, on first gen b16's out of 88-91 civic's and crx's the serial started with a 1. 2nd gen b16's from 92+ civic's started with a 5.

Back