1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

temp ext plastic fix crx?

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EW' started by cressidakiller, Nov 14, 2008.

1. cressidakiller

cressidakiller New Member

hey all, i had a post a few months back where i received good info on fixing crx exterior plastic pieces that i plan on using as soon as i can.
    in the meantime i have rounded up a better nose panel (wrong color but only in 2 pieces, and no huge chunks missing as in my current one) and 2 near-perfect matching fenders. my driver fender has multiple cracks but is still amazingly one piece. sometimes i fear it will blow apart and litter the road. i was looking for a temporary quick fix to keep it together and look a tad nicer until i have the time to replace my exterior pieces. my crx is black so i've been thinking electrical tape. anyone have experience w/ that or anything else? currently i could not use putty or anything like that on the fender while it is on the car, the parts of it have big gaps in them. i'll try to get a pic up soon. i'm trying to do something quick that doesn't involve pulling the bumper off to get the fender off.
    thanks.

2. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

drill fresh holes and use zip ties. drift cars do it all the time.

3. cressidakiller

cressidakiller New Member

thats what i was thinking of but i couldn't think of the name 'zip tie'. thx.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  4. hondasaurus

hondasaurus Member

heres my zip tie job
    i wanted to put the holes closer to the edge but had broken off a small piece doing just that. i wonder if more zip ties closer together would look better. this seems to hold it pretty well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. MthaFuknGreen

MthaFuknGreen Green on the scene.

if you wanted to use tape, dont use electrical tape.
    get some black duct tape.
    electrical tape wouldnt hold for shit.

1 person likes this.
  6. dacheat

dacheat ..is grounded.

x2 to the electrical tape not sticking, and for the record duct tape won't either above 55mph (i used it to hold my sunroof shut for a while in my si).

i think the zip ties look like the way to go - that's pretty impressive work holding that fender together hondasaurus - rep.

7. hondacivicguy05

hondacivicguy05 New Member

they have a plastic welder gun you can buy to put it back together my buddy got one to fix his fenders on his 4 wheeler and it did a good job and it holds up pretty good

1 person likes this.
  8. hondasaurus

hondasaurus Member

thx guys. this was just temp. i'm surprised i was able to get the zip ties on w/o taking the fender off. thats how cracked it was, fluttering on the freeway. i think i could go closer w/ the drill holes in the future if i angle the drill and apply pressure only a couple seconds at a time.
    it was bad, at the top of a 30 degree hill i hit 5 days/week, i'd turn right low in 2nd gear and my loose driver fender would scrape my new tire. wish i had a before shot but my cam batt was dead and it was an unusually warm day.
    i have new fenders (current right one is in pretty good shape tho). i also have a better but not perfect front mask.
    its just freezing here and i have no garage so I'm not going to be taking my bodywork off til spring.
    i also think drilling at the end of a crack works for stoppin the crack, but only time will tell. i'd read to do that before. my fender is missing the outer trim that sticks out about 1/2 way down and it cracked only til the natural hole (for the trim).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted