Temp gauge problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tmac1987

My temperature Guage is not working on my 88 crx si. It moves around at random and pauses at places for a while and then moves again. i grounded the green and yellow wire for the temperature guage and it moved a little but did not go all the way to one side. It is also causing a chech engine light. I was wondering if anyone had any insight. My guess is that the guage is bad. What clusters would work? The si cluster is hard to find. My main concern is to fix the check engine light to get it smogged. i plan to do a swap later, but i need to drive it now and my temporary sticker is up.

First thing to do is to pull the ECU codes and figure out the cause of the check engine light. It could be something as simple as a bad coolant temp sensor..

ecu code 6

It is putting out a code 6. The coolant temp code. Is that because of the single wire temp sensor that goes to my gauge, or the double wire sensor that goes to my ecu? I already replaced the single wire sensor and ran a new wire to the gauge cluster, but the temp gauge still doesn't work.

most likly its a bad ECT, but u might wanna check if there is a high resistance in the singal wire on the sensor

what does ECT stand for? Does anyone know if the check engine light (code 6) is caused by the one wire or two wire sensor? and i am pretty sure the gauge is bad because i grounded right where the wire comes out of the gauge cluster and nothing happened.

you can get that info here under reference materials..

to the OP.. are you using an aftermarket temp gauge??.. i know if you dont use the correct sending unit and just splice it into the existing temp sensor it will read completely wrong and move a lot.. mine did anyways

I bought the sensor that goes into the head new from the parts store. i got the part that clips on that from pick n pull off an 88 integra and spliced it to the gauge. The temp gauge and cluster is stock.

Back