Temp Gauge...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

StarBellieAngel

so it comes and goes... but mostly doesn't rise with the temp... therefore vtec isn't working. i haven't pinpointed where it is, but i'm wondering if any of you guys have a good spot or things to check.

my guess is either a bad wire somewhere, or the ECT sensor?

Probably the ECT. Doubtful that the wiring would fail, if you haven't messed with anything in the engine bay near the sensor itself.

Vtec should work without the temp sensor, if vtec is not working i would look into your oil pressure.

i thought that vtec had to be at a certain 'engine' temperature too...

which makes me suspect the ECT, because, the car DOES get warm, and the fan comes on autonomously... but it's run on a seperate circuit. *shrug*

it's making me crazy. just get the little bugs worked out with the rest of the car to get it running tip top again, and it does this crap. HAHA

thanks guys... i'm gonna have a look see at the ECT.

also.. i think something is up with the speedometer... cuz randomly (usually first thing in the morning) it will go all whacked out... and make this crazy noise, then just work fine... i replaced the speedo cable about 3 months ago... it did it ever since, so i assume i screwed something up doing that, but i was going to replace the gauges anyway, so as long as it's 'working' i figure, leave it alone.

Yeah, VTEC definitely operates off of the ECT (among other things). However, VTEC works independently of the thermostat, which causes the fans to operate when it opens. Oil pressure would only be a factor of VTEC not working if she were throwing a code for the Oil Pressure Sender. :)

As for the speedo....my brother's Ford is doing the same thing. We originally thought it was the speedo cable as well, which we replaced. The same thing happened. I think that, the gears inside the speedo itself are beginning to get worn, and once the cable starts turning at a high rate of speed (+35 mph or so for him), the cable starts "slipping" through the gears, causing erratic speedo behavior and that godawful noise coming from the dash. :) We're going to go to a junkyard to find a working cluster, and pull the speedo. Misti, you should try for the same solution.

i actually DO have a 92-93 LS cluster, can i just swap that out?

as for the ECT, i figure that is what it is, because otherwise, i'd get SOME kind of code. the thermostat is fairly new... and like i said, the fan is run completely seperate (aftermarket since the stock one stopped working)

thanks for the help!!! :)

No problem. :)

Don't really know about the cluster question, Civics/Integras aren't my strong point.

Back