temp won't stabalize

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seephor

I finished swapping a jdm b18c into my gsr and it runs fine with no major problems or codes but it seems that the motor never gets to optimum running temperature while i'm driving. The temp needle fluctuates all the way from 3mm past C to less than half way all while dirving. It doesn't stabalize anywhere and does not overheat either. I removed the AC and the AC condensor along with it which sits in front of the radiator. I'm guessing this is causing more cool air to hit the radiator cooling the coolant down too much? Could a bad thermostat cause this to happen? I always though a bad thermostat causes the car to overheat. Another thing is the car will reach optimum temp while sitting idle and fans come on as normal while just sitting idle. Any ideas?

If your coolant temperature gauge keeps jumping around, your sensor is probably bad. A gallon of water/coolant can't constantly change temperature up and down that quickly. Check the sensor- it's located in your head close to the distributor.

i dont think air bubbles would cause it to flucuate that much, but who knows.

also as a small note for future a bad thermostat can cause the car to overheat, but most thermostats are called fail safe, so they get stuck open when it gets too hot, then they never close again and your temp guage will never rise.

btu then there are always the thermostats that arent fail safe and when they stop working, then yeah it will cause your engine to overheat.

i just gave you this info to assure you that it is not your thermo

Thanks for the info about the thermo, I didn't know it worked that way. I actually installed the AC condensor to just to see what happens and it appears to be stabalizing now. I guess the GSR was designed with the AC in mind.

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 12 2005, 09:26 PM
Having the condensor in or out shouldn't make any difference.
[post=460272]Quoted post[/post]​

yea I noticed the temp drop again even with the condenser. I guess I'll look for a coolant temp sensor and get a new thermo while I'm at it. One other thing is that the rad came out of a type-r but I was thinking it is identical to a gsr rad but does it have better cooling?

Originally posted by Calesta@Feb 13 2005, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure. I think they're the same.
[post=460315]Quoted post[/post]​

i remember reading somewhere that htey are the same! :)

Actually when I replaced m radiator on my coupe the temp di fluctuate like crazy with bubbles in the coolant. Try to bleed the system first. It's a free potential fix before you spend any money.

Your problem is probably that your ECT gauge sending unit is either bad, or has a bad connection.

Back