Tenrai

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was thinking about getting one of those cheap Tenrai catback's you see on ebay all the time. I just need a cheap catback for right now because the pipe that comes off the cat, the flange broke right off, I don't even know how. So now it's louder then shit..feels good on my back though haha. But I'm wondering has anyone tried a Tenrai catback system before. I already know people are going to say "don't get it, it's cheap just get a name brand one" or something like that but I can't afford a $300+ system right now, maybe later but just something right now so I don't get pulled over. But any info would be great like how loud it actualy is and little things like that.

Thanks

i had a tenrai on my ef hatch and it was awesome..you could feel that it opened up some power...
it did not rust and it sounded really good...when i got rid of my hatch i kept the exhaust and modded it to fit my crx..
overall i think for the price..the quality is very good..

alright awesome! And the reason why I don't get a new stock one is because it's about as much to get a new stock one as it is to buy the Tenrai. I've herd they are obnoxiously loud but that's probably when you take the silencer out.

i didn't say a new exhaust. i said why don't you buy a stock exhaust. find one that just got replaced with aftermarket. it's super cheap until you get get a good one.

I'd listen to that guy ^^^ He comes up with some good ideas... Maybe even a stock exhaust off one in the pick-a-part would suffice as well.

yeah I was calling junk yards and a few people online and they wanted high prices $100+ like I was shocked. Are they stopping production on these or what!?

yeah I was calling junk yards and a few people online and they wanted high prices $100+ like I was shocked. Are they stopping production on these or what!?

$100 for a stock system compared to what, $150 - $200 for the Tenrai when you factor in shipping charges? You still come out on top buying a used stock system.

Also, have you even tried taking it to an exhaust shop and seeing how much it would be to have them repair it? That could be the cheapest solution of all for right now...

I went to a few near me and just to look at it they wanted $80. I know it's dumb, but I'm going to cut the cat off and just run a straight pipe

my old exhaust was so trash and i didnt want to spend a lot of money so i picked up one of these tenrai catbacks myself. surprisingly the quality is pretty good. mandrel bends and it actually measured 2 1/4 all the way through. without a cat it is quite loud and a bit raspy around 3100-3500. i have a blox test pipe though and an ls, so i dunno how the sound might change if a different engine and cat or lack of a cat is taken into consideration. another gripe is at lower rpms it will end up vibrating against some part of the rear chassis. even after getting the adjustable test pipe it was not enough to prevent this. the pipes are just too long and end up throwing the whole catback a bit out of wack. in order to fix it i'm going to remove like 7 inches or so from the midpipe and then weld in a 6" flex pipe.

anywhoo. here are pics of the kit when i received it, and how it compares to my old system... if you can call it that lol. the point at when i decided to finally order something was when i ended up holding the two parts of the exhaust together with a friends turbo coupling lol.

0825082248ie2.jpg

0825082249qc6.jpg

0827081951aps8.jpg

0827081952awt7.jpg

that being said, it doesnt seem like you necessarily need to get a whole new catback. however if you do decide to get it, this catback is really not bad at all for the money.

my tenrai with my LS was not loud or raspy..had a nice tone to it..real quiet at idle..i could hear my valves ticking over the exhaust lo...but for the price..you cant go wrong

my tenrai with my LS was not loud or raspy..had a nice tone to it..real quiet at idle..i could hear my valves ticking over the exhaust lo...but for the price..you cant go wrong

yea mine sounds real nice at idle, and i too hear the engine over the exhaust (when at idle lol) when i say loud i mean like when you're gettin on it above like 5,000 rpm. do you still have a functioning catalytic converter? i'm curious as to why yours wouldn't be raspy but mine is. i assumed it was just because i have the 4-2-1 header and open pipe from there back.

yeah i have the ehaust i really like it, it def has a deeper tone then most exhuasts ive heard....but i am the loudest vehicle in my town when i get on it so you will attract some attention......me i like the attention but its all up to you really

raspy = no dice....

i know the header usually makes it raspy tho but i have heard cars that arnt raspy and sound nice with a header and full exhaust and no kitty.

raspy = no dice....

i know the header usually makes it raspy tho but i have heard cars that arnt raspy and sound nice with a header and full exhaust and no kitty.

not true b18 type r in my buddys car is raspy as hell and im pretty sure it has dice

not the dice i was talking about.

in other words i was sayin it sounds like shit when its all raspy

i mean dont get me wrong my car is pretty raspy (tho ive tried all sorts of shit to rid it) and its pretty quick i guess.

well I made my half ass test pipe today. worked out pretty well. I'll post pictures tomorrow. An exhaust shop quoted me $559 to fix it..I made my own test pipe and it cost me about $25, my exhaust is great, I think I picked up a little power, AND I am now polluting more then ever, I feel good about myself haha. So from manifold back I now have 2 1/4" exhaust.

Back