Test drove an STi...:o

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Aug 17 2005, 09:53 AM
Keep in mind, I can walk off the lot with a brand new WRX for $23-24k and a STI is going to run me atleast $30k and possibly up to $32k. Thats 6-7k of mods that I can do. I saw that you bought yours for around 28-29k and I was thinking how if I fly/drove to CT and bought a STI there and drove it back, I'd be saving money. I should buy and resell.
[post=541184]Quoted post[/post]​

A Regular WRX is fine. It's the same as the NA Supra, in every performance way imaginable (Except the Supra gets more mpg). The Turbo Supra is comparable to the STi in everyway except the turbo spools faster, and it's missing that awesome center driveline bias knob.

And you don't want to buy a car in CT. Conveyance fees and shit. Buy in New Hampshire - No taxes. Until you get home and register it :)

Yea the one I was looking at was priced at around 32k. Still within my limits, pushing it slightly. I was about to trade in the audi as a DP, payments would have been like $400/mth

New2,
If you can afford to spend 32k. GET the STi, at least go test drive one. It's well worth the extra cash. Things never go perfect when you start modifying things anyway. And you get to have a REAL STi.

I can't be the only one that thinks these high performance 4 door cars are boring.

The Wagon meets my gf's goals for a new car : AWD Wagon that doesn't suck to drive. She's been looking for a Scoob wagon for 5 years, and finally got up to get one. And I understand that, because I think that SUV's suck, but my 4Runner has been a dream of mine since I was 15.

-> Steve

I have no use for a wagon. I kind of need a sedan every once in a while.

2 doors suck, they really do, especially when you have someone in the back.

you're gunna need a stretched fucking mini van soon if you dont stop knocking bitches up

Stop that talk, you're going to make me be unsatisfied with the WRX that I was about to buy. I was very very satisfied while driving it.

lol to each his own man. don't let what i say sway you... but IMO, its worth the extra cash from the get-go.

PLUS, if you plan to race/autox or anything, the worked sti-"equivalnet" WRX will be classed in a MUCH harder class than the bone stock stil
streetmod vs Astock most likely. you have a MUCH better chance of being competeitve in Astock then you do in street mod, thats for sure. Especially with Daddio and his evo rolling around in SM.

Also, I'm talking about speed and handeling mods for a lesser price than the STI, if you use aftermarket parts and are a savvy buyer. Sure, you can't get the STI's 6 speed tranny because that would hit you for a couple grand, but you can upgrade brakes and suspension and then do a Cobb Stage 3 for less than buying a STI around here.

i'm sure its possible.... but it won't be the same.

the 2.0 block vs the 2.5 block is night and day in terms of its response, and power curve.
the wrx tranny is shit, and if you feed it sti power, it will probably blow up on you soon.
the LSD's in the sti are night and day-- not even counting the center controllable (and by playing with it, i picked up 2 secs at the autox i did with it)
you don't get the fender flares
you don't get the 5x114.3 wheels... you get the 5x100
so you can't do the sti brake swap with out replacing just about everything suspension and wheel bearing-wise.

Keep in mind, I can walk off the lot with a brand new WRX for $23-24k and a STI is going to run me atleast $30k and possibly up to $32k. Thats 6-7k of mods that I can do. I saw that you bought yours for around 28-29k and I was thinking how if I fly/drove to CT and bought a STI there and drove it back, I'd be saving money. I should buy and resell.

i paid 32,800 for my sti, with everything but the compass rear-view, and the extended arm rest. plus, i had lojack installed, and an oem-dealer vdo boost gauge installed.
not to mention my $800 6 year extended bumper-to-bumper warranty that i talked my way into included in that price (hence, the 800) :) and this was in feb. the 05s are cheaper now, cuz the 06s are on their way...
2.9% finacing is cool too.
i put 3k down, and my payment is 565/month for 5 years.

Only have one baby seat in the Audi right now. :)

I was going to put more than 3k down. Probably a couple g's cash and the Audi.

Even if, once a week, I have more than 1 passenger a 2 door is fine. I have owned 4 seaters for months and didn't even put the back seats up. It's a waste, for me anyway.

I do do 4 seaters, because I had to stuff my step sister in the back of my CRX once and that sucked. The 4Runner suits me well because it's a 2 door, and I use the rear bed space more often than not. Getting 4 doors when you carry people as often as I do is as wasteful as buying an SUV when you don't do sport, or utility, or if you never haul shit in the back.

The WRX, at it's gas consumption, is just as bad as owning an SUV. Just because it isn't as lifted doesn't validate it anymore. The rear seats have been used maybe 6 times in 4 months, and the trunk space was used once - To haul an AC from the store (Which my Civic hatch would have done splendidly)

I must have missed something. I thought you had talk of having kids, or perhaps some baby-mommas out there. You actually have custody of kids ?

You're younger than my honda.

-> S

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 17 2005, 11:07 AM
you don't get the 5x114.3 wheels... you get the 5x100
so you can't do the sti brake swap with out replacing just about everything suspension and wheel bearing-wise.
[post=541288]Quoted post[/post]​

B-

Depends on the model year. '04 STi's/WRX's got 5x100, so all wheels and brakes are swappable. '05 STi's got 5x114.3 (I'm not sure about '05 WRX's), so their wheels/brakes aren't swappable with older WRX's orSTi's. As I said, not sure about '05 WRX's.

And I still can't comprehend why Steve is getting such poor mpg. I get 22-24 right now with my aggressive Vishnu tune. I got even better numbers (1-3 mpg) when I was stock. Very strange.

yes, I have a daughter now. I don't have custody, I have visitation. So I have to rephase that to, "kid". If the one I've been talking about ends up being mine, it would be my second.

I would be happy with 22+ mpg anyday. I average 19-20 mpg, I'll see 21-22 if I take it easy.

I used to get about 29 in my lude.....then i found the vacuum leak...25 grrr

Half of them get shitty mileage, the other half don't. I looked it up on several WRX Boards. I this is one of the lemons.

I have the shaking pulley thing which is top on my list right now. I need to get my standby cars back to work on the WRX though. (Civic clutch lost about 1000 miles on it tonight).

Can't be down a car.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 17 2005, 01:07 PM
the 05s are cheaper now, cuz the 06s are on their way...
2.9% finacing is cool too.
i put 3k down, and my payment is 565/month for 5 years.

I can put about 10k down but my payment would still be high 400's to low 500's compared to the $200 or so a month for the WRX. Also, with the loan out I'd have to pay full insurance and on the STI thats going to be far more than the $165 I was quoted for the WRX. Factor in the terrible gas mileage and the great amount of driving I do and I'm sure I'd be over my limit. Plus if I bought I mid 20 thousand dollar car, going into my second year of college and being slightly under 20, my parents more specifically my mother would have a shit fit I'm sure. :) I'll lust the STi but I'll have to deal with the WRX for now. Besides, as I said I put a ton of miles on a car so it wouldn't even be worth it for me, since last november I've put on about 22,000 miles on the Vitara.

thats nothing.

I've put nearly 20k on the Audi already. Had it since early June.

i have 8.5k on the sti, and i bought it in june.

but, don't forget... i have a wopping 3 mile commute to work. lol

Lucky you, mine is 75 round trip.

I should go work at Mickey D's again. It took me 40-45 seconds to get to work everyday, in the saturn.

yeah, see, you're doing 375/week vs my 30... so technically, you should have more than 10x my milage.

figure i did about 4k since june... you should have 40k.

so technically, i drive more than you :p

Back