Test Pipe or Cat. Converter is worth it for my H22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm planing to purchase a cat. converter for my h22a. But a friend of my recommended I should just purchase a Test Pipe. He said I would have more gain with a test pipe. Although, I'm thinking that I would lose some midrange torque with the test pipe. So, my question is: Is it worth me getting a Test Pipe or Cat. Converter? Also, I know with a test pipe I will not pass emission testing, but I got a buddy for that. ;)

Originally posted by NyQuiL_AcCoRD@Aug 4 2004, 10:03 PM
I'm planing to purchase a cat. converter for my h22a. But a friend of my recommended I should just purchase a Test Pipe. He said I would have more gain with a test pipe. Although, I'm thinking that I would lose some midrange torque with the test pipe. So, my question is: Is it worth me getting a Test Pipe or Cat. Converter? Also, I know with a test pipe I will not pass emission testing, but I got a buddy for that. ;)
[post=372757]Quoted post[/post]​

If you replace it, go high flow cat. Otherwise, replace everything on either side. I still have my stock converter, and my car breathes really well. Size whatever you get to the size of your existing pipe. A 2.5" cat won't do you a lot of good if you have a 1.75" catback exhaust. I ported and polished my cat slightly by hand. Too bad there wasn't more material to work with.

Well I see you're in VA... don't they have emissions testing? I'd keep the stock/get a high flow cat so you would at least be able to pass emissions testing.

the point of the test pipe is to swap in the cat more easily(bolt on ones with flanges) i would go for the test pipe. i would go for a high flow cat but if you are at the track alot then go for the test pipe and just use your stock cat when its time for the emission test.

I don't know how the laws are in va but in cali its a 2,500 dollar fine if caught driving without a cat. this said, I recently put a 2.5 inch strait pipe from the header of my h22a to a large canister muffler. Well its loud. This is where street driving becomes risky. But no cat no pre-silencer replaced by a single pipe and a big ol' muffler frees up a lot of power. As for loss of mid range, maybe there is a little almost lag type feeling but as soon as you hit 4 grand you forget all about it.

I still retain the stock cat for the street, but my next purchase is a straight pipe for the track only. I really cannot afford the ticket here in cali for not having a cat on my car.

so i have done just the slightest bit of driving on the street and now feel that there is maybe too little back pressure so I am going to throw in a high flow cat and see how it goes.

Back