Test your turbo knowledge

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Easy, except for the Honeywell product specific questions.

I think this test sucks. Question 2. Anyone care to clarify how the temperature of the exhaust gas plays any roll in the turbos engery source?

Question 9. how does a waste gate allows a smaller sized turbine to be used for improved low speed engine performance?

Just 2 questions I thought are retarded

I got 13 out of 15, go figure.

Quoted post[/post]]
I think this test sucks. Question 2. Anyone care to clarify how the temperature of the exhaust gas plays any roll in the turbos engery source?

Question 9. how does a waste gate allows a smaller sized turbine to be used for improved low speed engine performance?

the hotter the exhaust gases, the more volume. therefore, the more force they push through the turbine.

with the wastegate, you get less lag. less lag=improved low speed engine performance.

I got 9/15, I missed almost all the garrett and brand specific question. :-/

Funny, though. I guessed the year for the first turbocharging setup right. lol

I got 9. Also missed most of the brand-specific questions.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

the hotter the exhaust gases, the more volume. therefore, the more force they push through the turbine.

with the wastegate, you get less lag. less lag=improved low speed engine performance.

it's not only volume. more heat = more energy. the more energy that is carried by the gases, the more energy is transferred to the vanes of the turbine, thereby having a direct effect on the impeller.

I don't agree with the wastegate question either. The purpose of the wastegate is to control boost by routing exhaust gases around the turbo so that you wont overboost. And how does a wastegate control lag? the wastegate doesn't allow you to use a smaller turbine unless it is talking about using a non-gated huge turbo that spools so slow that it reaches full boost right at redline. you can use whatever size you want.

Also, how does the actual temperature make the turbo spin faster. I agree that the heat makes more volume but wouldnt that count as the force on the vanes and not the temperature itself? I dont see how heat would make it spin faster.

Quoted post[/post]]
I don't agree with the wastegate question either. The purpose of the wastegate is to control boost by routing exhaust gases around the turbo so that you wont overboost. And how does a wastegate control lag? the wastegate doesn't allow you to use a smaller turbine unless it is talking about using a non-gated huge turbo that spools so slow that it reaches full boost right at redline. you can use whatever size you want.

Also, how does the actual temperature make the turbo spin faster. I agree that the heat makes more volume but wouldnt that count as the force on the vanes and not the temperature itself? I dont see how heat would make it spin faster.

Here here.

heat doesn't effect volume so much as it does density with the air...
hotter air moves faster that coller air, thus makeing boost faster.

waste gate doesn't control lag. it controls over-boosting.

6 right, i guessed on most of them and didn't know stuff like the exhaust heat moved the turbine aalongwith the pressure.

Quoted post[/post]]
heat doesn't effect volume so much as it does density with the air...
hotter air moves faster that coller air, thus makeing boost faster.

waste gate doesn't control lag. it controls over-boosting.

well, i've read it explained as: partially wastegating at low rpm's reduces backpressure thus allowing the engine to gain rpm faster.

makes sense to me, but i've had no real-life experience with turbocharging.

hot air = higher internal energy

higher internal energy means a given amount of exhaust gas can do more work on the turbine wheel, thus creating more power

Back