Test.......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I think it definitely can be. My mother is slightly dyslexic, and when she speaks you can sometimes hear it. She flips her grammar around every now and then. Of course, some of that might have to do with Chinese grammar being completely backwards compared to English, but she'll say one thing wrong and we'll go "huh?" and she'll say it again correctly. She doesn't know that she flipped two words in an earlier version of a sentence.

If her verbal grammar screwups are caused by a case of slight dyslexia, then I don't see any reason why typing would be any different. It's perception by your mind, not necessarily just writing something a little out of whack.

As for help, who knows. I don't know who you can go to talk to. Maybe a speech or writing coach? I'm just reaching for stuff here.

Smarts- I wouldn't say that your typing or grammar capabilities are necessarily dictated by how "smart" you are. I know a ton of people that really just can't put words to a screen very quickly, yet they're extremely smart and are good at a lot of other things. Just because you're not a record setter on the keyboard doesn't mean that you're not smart.

:)

hmm...I also wonder if it might be that I also think in Japanese all the time... :unsure:

I can read enough to get me by on a daily basis in Japan, but I can't read their newspaper. I would say that I have a Japanese reading level of a Japanese 2nd grader if even that. I can read and write both katakana and hirogana, and understand a few hundred Kanji sysmbols, but I have also never went to any schools or taken any classes for Japanese...just what I have picked up since 1991. I guess my dyslexia helped me learn Japanese faster, but my communicational skills in English are just to screwwed up in my head. The scary thing is, when I am talking to someone, I am think about my replies that are in Japanese and quikly translate them back to English before I replie. Also lately, I have been trying to mess around with the daily crossword puzzels in the newspaper, and I look at the clues, and I know the answers...but the answers that I think of are in Japanese....and I can't translate the answers into English to finish the puzzle. Then the ADDS kicks in, cause I can never finish one puzzle :sad: After watching an ad on TV for EyeQ.TV, and I went to there homepage and took the simple test to see how many words per minute I can, I got like 186 wpm, then took the test, and got a 224 wpm...and I was wondering if it's my actual reading skills that is messing me up. Everytime I pick up a book to read, or when I was in college, it seemed like after five minutes, I was either fast asleep, or I put down the book/studies to go do something else.

I know a lot of people who can't stick with books/studies simply because that's not how their mind functions. A lot of people I know are brilliant mechanics, welders, body workers, etc. However, you put a book in front of them they're out like a light or gone to do something more exciting. Some people are just hands-on. If they can't touch it, work with it, figure out how it works, it's not worth their time.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Aug 19 2004, 02:16 PM
IEverytime I pick up a book to read, or when I was in college, it seemed like after five minutes, I was either fast asleep, or I put down the book/studies to go do something else.
[post=379217]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

reading puts me to sleep, even reading down thru posts here even makes me tired...not that theyre boring, heh, u know what i mean

i have ADD, and even if i can manage to read something, i cant remember shit...i mean nothing. unless its something im interested in, like stuff here or remembering moves for tekken 3, but then that involves that seeing then doing deal..

<------ tekken nerd

ADD is a farse

what Blanco said is a fact
people learn in different ways
ADD is when you do not learn the way the school system wants you to

some people are just not very good at some things

some people could not compose a proper english paper to save their ass
but they can play just about any musical instrument out there

some people couldnt tell you shit regarding history
but give them an engine and they can tear it down and rebuild it in 4 hours

some people suck ass in math class
but they can draw/paint/sculpt as well as any of the "greats"

i know a few people who were raised in other countries
ADD didnt exist there... no one had it... not many people even heard of it
they accepted that people learned differently and that some people are better at some things than ohers, and check this shit out... instead of doping them up untill they turned into zombies... they worked with them and focused on their natural talents / interests... apparently this method works much better than ours, seeing that we are trailing pretty much every other industrial country in the world as far as education goes

:werd:

america may be the most powerful nation; but, were obese, the crime is out of control, we pump out crazy pollution, theres trash everywhere and so on and so on..we got a lot of catching up to do.
when i was in germany for a month in high school, i was amazed. if i could speak a lick of german i would have stayed.

Back