Testing a fully built motor before tuning

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mike_995

Hey, I have one question that is kinda worrying me. My car is receiving a healthy fully built LS Vtec setup with ;
B18B1 block
11.7:1 compression (forged aluminum ITR'S)
81.5mm bore
B16 head with polished ports
Blueprint STG2 cams
KMS springs and ti retainers
Shotpeened rods
ARP's in the bottom end etc....
360cc injectors

My question is immediatly after my swap, after everything is in my car how should I test to see that the motor is working properly, I dont want to get to the tuner to find out ooooo vtec isnt engaging, or hey I wired something wrong. But I also dont want to burn up my untuned motor figuring out if everything is in good working order. So what kind of tips could you guys give me ?

Ps: I dont have anyway to tune the car in my garage, and I dont have a wideband, im leaving all of that for when its dyno tuned.

Thanks
Mike

Ive read most of IB's articles however their break in article is aimed at people who have access to a wide band right away, and can tune their AFR's to 14.7. I wont be able to do that, I dont have the equipment, I suppose the motor will be throwing cel's if their is a vtec problem, or anything else.

Yea I suppose thats what I will do, obviously Ill start it and check to see if its gonna throw codes, but other wise it will be getting towed. Does 125/hr for dyno time, mechanic, tuner etc sound good ?. I thought it was pretty reasonable, it will be getting tuned on uberdata, and I cant imagine my build taking more than an hour. Oooo my car has been featured a few times today :)

Last edited:
Ahh, imagine that, if i would have re-read the very first post I could have answered my own question lol. thanks for the answer tho. :)

I dunno, ive read around in honda tech and even hs, and kms products had fairly good ratings. As far as I know they are just restamped supertechs so.... I dont really see anything wrong with their springs, they dont coil bind until 20.5 mm.

John (Owner/Manager or w/e) is a complete tool. And a douche-bag.

Quoted 1 month build time. Took 5. Horrible Customer Service. Almost $4,000 later I get a 130whp D16.
ugh. I've just been completely ANTI-KMS since then.

Last edited:
If you want, you can always contact John Vega from Phearable.net - Electronic Fuel Injection Tuning Solutions - Hondata, Neptune, Crome, Uberdata, Ectune, AEM, Honda Tuning, Widebands, Fuel Pumps, Intercoolers, Turbos, LS/VTEC, ECU Chipping, Chipped Ecus, P28 and explain your build, injector size etc. and he can chip an ecu for you that you can use to break it in. Or, you can do as Scott (Blanco) said, and trailer it to your tuner and have it broken in on the dyno.

Back