Testing A Sitting Motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

$1000 for the whole GSR swap. Long block, wiring harness, axles, dizzy, ITR trans I believe (S80) and a ITR ECU. Everything is there.

He has another Integra of the same year but its crashed. He's swapping in the stock motor and selling it to his brother. Or thats what he told me.

If its still in the car, take it out for a ride or at least do a compression test. It sounds kinda shady but if the motor passes the tests, its a really good deal. Those swaps are going for about 2600-3000 (without the Type R trans). Has it been ride hard and put away wet? Retard marks on the dizzy...NOS? (I've seen this when looking)

ride..."rode hard and put away wet" is what I meant. I looked at the pictures you posted and I figure if the kid knows about aftermarket intake manifolds and transmissions, he knows what he has and is either stupid or shady. He may be stupid though....lol. Its worth looking into for the transmission and top end alone (if trans is in good shape). Stock ECU? I wonder why it was leaking oil out of the valve cover? Where on it? How much? Its probably not a good sign. Either he was rev happy with it (thats why I ask about the ECU) or he had the valve cover off a few times recently. I would take the valve cover off and look to see if all the twigs and berries are there when you test it.

In his ad he said the valves need adjustment. Could that also be the LMA's? No nos on the car but he said it has the Type R ECU so you can rev it to nine grand. I thought the ITR ECU was OBD2. He said it was OBD1. He thinks I know nothing about cars. :)

Last edited:
I bought my LS swap from a guy like this and it only lasted me a month before a rod flew out the front of the block. I only paid $500 for a complete swap and rear disc set up so loosing the motor wasnt a complete loss. I would take it for a drive and go through the motions with it to make sure everything is sound. A grand is one expensive paper weight.

Just do what you can do when you give it the once over. I mean the plugs on the ECU will give away the OBD. See if it has a FITV under the throttle body (if not its OBD2)
I've never heard of LMA's being a common problem but I am worried he has pieced this thing together from various cars and motors. Shit, if it wont turn over, I would take a
screwdriver and place it in the #1 piston (take spark plug out). Turn crank to see if cams line up with #1 being TDC. It would give me piece of mind. Sadly, if you cant see, smell,
and hear it run, its sketchy

Well thats what I told him. I won't buy it without testing it and hearing it run.

He's an idiot though, I think he bought the car like that and doesn't know much at all. Like he said LSD GSR transmission, when I looked up the code it turned out to be a different transmission. He says it has Megan headers when it has a Jasma header. He says Type R ECU but my research says the ITR ECU is OBD2, in a OBD1 1994 Integra.

Because the standard GSR intake manifold has the seconday bypass or something, wouldn't you have to use a different intake manifold anyway to use a different ECU? Which is changed.

You mean those secondary butterflies? I am not sure if those must be removed but I do know its not hard to do once IM has been taken off. That would also be a tale tale sign that its been messed with. Check out the ECU code. I think its a chipped d series or a stock P72. More and more...this guy may be an idiot.

You mean those secondary butterflies? I am not sure if those must be removed but I do know its not hard to do once IM has been taken off. That would also be a tale tale sign that its been messed with. Check out the ECU code. I think its a chipped d series or a stock P72. More and more...this guy may be an idiot.
Yes, I had seen it in person but he wasn't there to start it. Its a B18C1 with an aftermarket intake mani. So without the secondary butterflies the ECU would throw a code right? Thats why it probably has a ITR ECU in it. But an ITR ECU is OBD2 and he said its OBD1. Doesn't matter, I'm going over it tomorrow.

Here is a pic of it.

12295565.jpg

Last edited:
Did some research and it looks like he has the A.E.B.S. intake manifold. One guy claimed he made 15 whp on a GSR with IHE.

24255240047_large.jpg

5-28-009-update.gif

I think you may be right about the code without the secondary butterflies. I am pretty sure guys that run that chip the ECU and program it no not read for it at all. Keep us posted on the chase!

It runs smooth but it has an alarming rattle/ticking. He says he took it to Honda and they said it was valve lash. I don't think so. The ticking fades away, but its still there, when you give it throttle and when its de-accelerating (just reving).

I think the bottom end is about to blow out. It has great compression, all between 210 and 220.

It also has the P73 ECU but I saw OBD1 plugs on the ECU side. It has a jumper harness though. Maybe I'm on crack and its a OBD1 to OBD2 conversion harness.

If the crank is screwed, could a LS crank fit in?

I dont think an LS crank fits in the B18C1 block (but maybe someone will prove me wrong) Glad to know it runs. No CEL? Is the CEL bulb in the dash? lol It might be worth looking into a re-build after you buy it. Sadly, these swaps are getting old. And some have been rev'd to 9K+ (even though power plateaued at 7600). You can get new pistons (OEM) for less then $200. I figure a re-build is an option?

Yes I can rebuild a motor, and I wouldn't swap it in my car until I took apart the block. I know he reved it to 9 grand.

What to do...I'm like halfway. I have a fresh, excellent running Mini-Me in my car but a GSR would be cool. My dad thinks I should go turbo. :D

And if I took apart the bottom end I would leave the head on and the pistons in and just do bearings.

Go turbo, and spank his dragon ball z reving monster with .2 litres less and a cam less

Back