The 87 CRX build....has started...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
So, since the forum was down, I got bored....so I started back on the crx build...so far, the block is done, and the head is almost done....just a few more valve springs to get on, and then I can slap it on the block...and start the turbo plumbing. I've offered it up for sale as is...all or nothing...on a different site... I need money. Or I'll just sell off the mugen stuff, and the civic parts car, and a few other things, and keep the CRX as a stock sleeper at 9psi. I first have to build it and tune it to pass emmisions, and once it's back on the road, then a few hours to slap the turbo on it and tune......if someone doesn't offer me a lot of mone for it.

The Block. It came out of a parts car that SiSteve sold me, (AKA Bob Vila) and I had it dipped with everything still put together. well, I took apart the conrods, and the bearings still look new, but one of the pistons was fubar...so I popped a piston from my other si engine...slapped them on a scale, they were the same weight, and plugged away. Slapped the oilpan on with a dainport for the turbo oil return, and honed the cylinder walls, crosshatched them, and checked and cleaned each ring. Everything back together and it rotates smooth and nice.

The Head. Stock si head, ported and polished, new valve guide seals, cleaned all the valves, replaced the exhaust valve that burned thru and caused the car to die, and lapped the valves to the seats for a while to get them to match perfectly. And then the 3 layer metal Cometic head gasket....and thats about as exotic as I'm going to go on that.

whats left to do....I still have to pull the tranny from the civic I have, I like the way it shifts...like butter. And swap out the Phantom grip LSD that I have in my CRX trany, and bolt it up to the lightened flywheel, and matched to the ACT heavy duty pressure plate, and a new Exedy clutch disk. Then drop that into the car and tune it to NA, see how it runs, and then plan for the turbo build. A decent little TD04/14b or a mint T25 will go in... right now the manifold I have, has a TD04/13B on it, so I might just swap the compressor section out with the 14b and run with that. A new Civc half rad for cooling, and an FMU for the gas.

Anyways...time for the pics....

Small engine....big pic....:D

DSC00168.JPG

and the rest here....

Untitled

before I strip down Celerities block, I'd at least like to see some money so I can take it to the guy to get dipped...I can't work for free all the time. ;)

and Chris's block it a solid hunk of iron that even my sandblaster can't hold..plus the rust scales are to chunky and they clog up the gun to fast. :( :p

Did you see all that EDM crap on ebay for the 1g's?

this guy in Australia is selling some pretty cool stuff
OEM yellow fogs w/wiring and switch
DOHC PGM-FI embossed steering wheel
HEATED POWER mirrors for a 3g Civic
Digital dash

its all nice stuff too

Don't strip my block - I'll come and get it and take care of it.

CRX stuff.. god, I can't wait until I can buy car parts again.

i've still got that EW4 if someone wants it, lol

build looks nice, i've got a secret radiator that might work out better for you than a half rad
PM me for details... excellent fit and very easy to find, real cheap brand new too

I'm not dumping any more money into this than I have too...plus I already got the rad, and it is new. but just help some other people out and post up your idea.

I just got the valve springs on, and the rocker arms...I think the head will be on the block today. :)

i was gonna wait till i got engine bay pics of my setup, but i'm running a mid 80's omni radiator... shorter than a half, tucks underneath the rad support on a 88-91, and its nice and thick...

no problems with it so far...

Dual core aluminum 1/2 radiators w/plastic tanks are like $55 new

I put one in my EG when I put the swap in it

Dual core aluminum 1/2 radiators w/plastic tanks are like $55 new
I put one in my EG when I put the swap in it

yea, i got a 1/2 radiator too, but you need to cut your lower cross member or lean the radiator for it to fit in the 88-91's
i didn't like either of those options so i went and looked under every hood until i found one that i could fit without hacking my car...
and it was free, with an auto tranny cooler underneath it

Back