The American Dream

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

Check this article out, from beginning to end

Of all my years (Heh) I can offer some advice to you. And I offer this advice not in a "I did this, and it worked for me" kind of way.

I didn't do this. But luckily, and I DO mean luckily, I caught myself early. But dammit if I wasn't a little smarter and HEEDED THE WARNING. Shit, if I knew then what I know now.. I would be a fuckin millionaire.

-> Steve

I wanted to read all of it, but by the 4th paragraph something shiney caught my attention and i got distracted.

oh well.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Dec 31 2004, 01:24 AM
I wanted to read all of it, but by the 4th paragraph something shiney caught my attention and i got distracted.

oh well.
[post=439464]Quoted post[/post]​

definitely, can we get the cliffnotes version?

Your attention spans suck. Read the whole thing. It doesn't take long, and it's a good article.

Yeah, a good but definitly sad article. Its a shame to read that those curcumstances have become more commonplace in America.

guy gets laid off a couple times
wife gets sick
they lose there shit

pretty normal stuff, i dunno why they deserved an article lol

It was just basically pointing out the relative volitility of todays Job market. Companies no longer have worker loyalty and a college degree, once a safeguard against job loss, has lost much of its weight in regards to that. It also makes a point to show how much these people have to strain themself to maintain a "middle class" lifestyle and how fragile that lifestyle actually is. It is a sign of our changing times.

Originally posted by Guy@Dec 31 2004, 12:17 PM
It was just basically pointing out the relative volitility of todays Job market. Companies no longer have worker loyalty and a college degree, once a safeguard against job loss, has lost much of its weight in regards to that. It also makes a point to show how much these people have to strain themself to maintain a "middle class" lifestyle and how fragile that lifestyle actually is. It is a sign of our changing times.
[post=439578]Quoted post[/post]​

Good read! read every word. Makes you think a lot. Maybe because i am going on 28 and trying to buy my first house, plus my GF just lost her job. hits home a bit.

Dont' make your house a house of cards, is the moral of the story.

If you make good decisions, have talent and a good paying job, and throw in a dash of good luck even THEN you're really only making. You have to prepare for the unseen and not be a spend-a-holic. Makes me wonder how people afford things.

I make a pretty penny, and I have NO bills or debt. Still, I can't afford a house or even a car payment. Shit, I count my blessings everyday that I pay my car insurance and utilities.

Good Point, one thing that made me not feel "so bad" for the people in this article is because they spent beyond their means. In no way does that article state that the husband and wife were preparing for the future...they were living in the now. Which in this day and time is not logical. The current economy and job market is way to unstable for people to spend their money fragrently. I feel bad that this family not only dealt with the unforseen job loss (although the article, at one point, does speak to the fact that the husband and his boss did not get along) but also the illness that was struck down upon the wife...

The article really makes you open your eyes and to not take whats for granted, but to prepare for the worse...unfortunately, we all need to live in a pecismistic world.

Back