The AWD idea

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

as the winter turns i am bored with the common. I have started to look into transfering parts from the 88-91 wagon 1.6l to teh 88-91 crx si.

problems: the rear dif can only hold about 130 hp to the wheels
the drive axel is floppy and THIN
the linkage is different

good things that come:AWD in a light car
limited to d-series
alot of fab
bad ass lil go cart

so here i am thinking about how plossible it really is

i foudn 2 places in cincinnati that make gears and custom driveshafts

so the question...plossible? if so will it last?

i need ideas befor my friend and i start breakin out the welders

I think you can use CRV parts, of course theres gonna be extra work but it will be worth it in the long run.

It is possible, and if you do it right it could last. I would really suggest a b series though.

You can use the wagon parts if you really want to. As for running custom shafts, go for it. Nobody can really tell you how strong custom pieces will be. As for the rear end only being good for 130whp, it's not a 50/50 system. Most of the power still goes up front. Just bolt up a DOHC ZC and turbo it, then have some fun.

Oh- plausible not plossible. :p

:roll:

An AWD Honda is like a second penis. Kinda cool when you first think about it, but after a while, it's just plain gay.

Originally posted by CRVTEC@Dec 22 2004, 08:21 PM

An AWD Honda is like a second penis. Kinda cool when you first think about it, but after a while, it's just plain gay.
[post=436155]Quoted post[/post]​

The new RL r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz :p

crv is a good idea....but that is reeal time awd and only works when teh fronts slip so...its kinda out of the question....

i was thinking about the zc but i have a bunch of sohc vtec's sittin around that will be fine...i believe supercharging would be the most effectve way to harness the power to all wheels b/c ...it is aways there! no wasting time for boost to build up...i dont know its snowing like a bitch and this is the perfect time to get the blueprints down for teh spring/summer

Originally posted by Calesta+Dec 22 2004, 09:25 PM-->
@Dec 22 2004, 08:21 PM

[post=436155]Quoted post[/post]​

The new RL r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz :p
[post=436159]Quoted post[/post]​

i work at acura here in cincy...the RL is awesome...if you dont believe in honda making a well designed awd system....go to your acura dealer and take one for a test drive

I coulda sworn the CRV trans put 20% to the rear and the rest to the front while substaining the 4wd all the time.

no. only when the front loses traction does it send power to the rear. if someone you know has a crv ask them to "launch" it ( i use it loosely because its a fucking crv) youll see that the front wheels spin for a second then the rears kick in....hardly.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Dec 23 2004, 11:54 AM
no. only when the front loses traction does it send power to the rear. if someone you know has a crv ask them to "launch" it ( i use it loosely because its a fucking crv) youll see that the front wheels spin for a second then the rears kick in....hardly.
[post=436377]Quoted post[/post]​

yes, in the 2003+crv you can do burn outs if you take the traction control off(the realtime AWD)....i think the wagon is the best bet!

damnit, that kills my dream completely. I wanted to do an AWD Turbo hatch, but with that peice of shit transmission my dream when down the drain. There is not point in 10k+ of work if I'm not even going to get power to the rear wheels.

I need to find a way to use a b series and a real transmisson maybe I can try to mount it longitudely (SP?) and stick.....oh wait honda engines spin backwards.

Yea, if the d series has full time AWD then go for it. I'm not a d series fan or I would contimplate doing it.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Dec 23 2004, 12:57 PM
damnit, that kills my dream completely. I wanted to do an AWD Turbo hatch, but with that peice of shit transmission my dream when down the drain. There is not point in 10k+ of work if I'm not even going to get power to the rear wheels.

I need to find a way to use a b series and a real transmisson maybe I can try to mount it longitudely (SP?) and stick.....oh wait honda engines spin backwards.

Yea, if the d series has full time AWD then go for it. I'm not a d series fan or I would contimplate doing it.
[post=436409]Quoted post[/post]​

if you wana be a bad ass get an mdx set up or hell go s2k rear diff with the crv front trans...dont forget about the passport or the slx by acura

yea but that's not b series and requires abunch more extra work. I mean it's all ready a load of work as it is but the b series parts make it so much easier and alot of the CRV parts only require a little modification to make it fit on the civic.

I wasn't worried about the driveshaft, or suspension, it was more of the no rear wheel power. I can't bolt up just any AWD trand to a honda b series engine cause of the way it spins. I don't know how to do it any other way or any other AWD trans that spin the same way honda's does. I suppose I could flip the engine around and play around from there but that's still an assload of work.

For what it could cost me to do the transformation, I could just buy a stock AWD car with more performance and better reliability.

If it was just as easy as bolting in as CRV trans, suspension, rear end, custom driveshaft and relocatied Fuel tank and a bunch of other shit I might do it. But it really isn't worth it cause of the shitty trans, I mean i need at least 130 hp at the rear wheels to satisfy me and it has to be there all the time. I could never build my own trans and I'm not paying someone 20 grand to build one the way I want.

I would be better off trying to mount an f20 longitudely(SP?) in the bitch and have a RWD hatch. I'd even probably be more successful with a rear mounted engine.

It just a dream, and will never happen. I could also find a decent sized RWD engine and trans (with plenty of aftermarket support) that would fit in the Civic engine bay and work from there.

I think the AWD idea is out of the question, I need an egine with more potentional then the d series, especially if i'm going to drop 10+k into it.

If you really want to do all that work, just transverse mount an entire B series FWD drivetrain in the rear.

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 23 2004, 03:53 PM
If you really want to do all that work, just transverse mount an entire B series FWD drivetrain in the rear.
[post=436478]Quoted post[/post]​

That's sexy

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Dec 23 2004, 04:59 PM
DUAL MOTOR CIVIC!!!!!!!!!!
[post=436500]Quoted post[/post]​

Some guy did that with a Hyundai. both motors put out 300+ horses and it runs like a 10.8 second quarter. You'll have to use two automatics though.

perfect sleeper, no one will think to look in your trunk for an engine.

Originally posted by revolution8k+Dec 24 2004, 01:46 AM-->
Seany-izzle
@Dec 23 2004, 04:59 PM
DUAL MOTOR CIVIC!!!!!!!!!!
[post=436500]Quoted post[/post]​

Some guy did that with a Hyundai. both motors put out 300+ horses and it runs like a 10.8 second quarter. You'll have to use two automatics though.

perfect sleeper, no one will think to look in your trunk for an engine.
[post=436712]Quoted post[/post]​

Rear engine has been done in a del Sol too.

Back