The Best Floor Jack?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smarty009

so guys...im lookin for a good floor jack to jack my car up...any suggestions on a certain one? what kind does everyone have?

what kind of garage/flooring do you have?

i can give you some very personal experience...

1. DO NOT EVER EVER get one of those limp dick jacks that you need to pull out the handle to let it down and then slide the handle back in and turn it to lock it into place... i snapped 1 tooth in half and chipped 2 others with one of those pieces of shit
the TEETH SMASHER 9000
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00950523000?rgn=0,0,640,640&scl=2.56&fmt=jpeg

i was just looking at jacks at sears.com

you don't want to get the michelin jack that the handle doesn't go straight up and down, even at its highest its still on an angle which is a pain in the ass in tight spaces
i was extremely happy with my aluminum race jack, cost me about 70 bucks a year or so ago at one of those tool shows, but it doesn't have an internal bypass like a normal jack, so when you get to its max height, it won't move anymore, and if you have a big ox in your garage who doesn't know this, then he'll end up blowing the seal right out of the jack, like what happened to mine...
91039.gif

this one was only 24 lbs... i loved it

the aluminum ones have a faster rise, which = one pump to get to chassis level, then each pump is a little harder than a conventional, but will lift the car faster
sears has one of these for 90 bucks on sale this week, $30 off reg price of 120
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00950240000?rgn=0,0,640,640&scl=2.56&fmt=jpeg
good for lowered cars
this one weighs 55 pounds, good deal for the money and easy to bring with you

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00950239000?rgn=0,0,640,640&scl=2.56&fmt=jpeg
4000 lbs capacity, 44 lbs but 200 bucks at sears

now if you just want a regular LONG term multi use jack, get one of these
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00950238000?rgn=0,0,2016,2306&scl=9.224&fmt=jpeg
$220 and 88 pounds but will last years

the one i currently have at my shop i've had for about 6 years, it came with an SUV adapter which = another 6 inches of lift, had a fast lift pedal to get the from ground to chassis in 1 push of the foot...
the turning gear got lose so i took it apart to tighten it up and lost some of the fluid so now it only goes about 3/4 of the way up
i got it at sams club for about 90-100 dollars a long time ago, but its pretty f'in heavy

lol

Last edited:
also, make sure you get jack stands
cheap ones can be had for 15 bucks at sears, but try to avoid the ones with the pins in them, they are a pain in the ass and cheaply made, i think i got a set of 4 from autozone

For my one that I use for everything is a craftsman SUV jack. My dad bought it for me. Its heavy duty to say the least and is good for 7000lbs. Only problem is it is a little tall to get under my front bumper so I lay a 2x4 across my garage and when I feel my front tires on it then it fits no problem. Oh and did I mention that its heavy as fuck. The package came with jackstands and if I remember right, the package says it weighed in at 98lbs. Minus about 10lbs for the jackstands so your looking at almost 90lbs. I would defently suggest a craftsman normal shop jack

For my cheap light one, I have a Red Triton aluminum I think, that I bought for like $30 at Meijer (kinda like a regional super walmart). The problem with the cheap light weight ones are limited hight (If I lift my front end, I can't fit a jack stand under the side jackpoints) and once you reach the top, it doesn't have a reserve chamber or what ever you want to call it for the hydrolic fluid, so if you try and muscle it higher, then you can blow out the seals. The craftsman aluminum one does have one and will go much higher.

i was wondering the same thing.. i use my uncles jack most of the time and i can never get it underneath.. . i guess my car is way too low or somethin..

most floor jacks are ment for your average family car so they don't really consider 4+ inches of needed clearance as a problem. Your newer "racing" lightweight aluminum floor jacks are made for low clearances so they won't be an issue unless your basicly draging on the ground.

ive got a cheap walmart jack that has never failed me. of course its cheap as shit construction but the thing is just going up and down.

craftsman's racing floor jack is really ideal for import cars because its quality built and allows for low clearances and enough travel to allow for jack stands.

Back