the best ls/vtec setup is...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

sup guys. i wanna drop a vtec head on my ls over the winter. has anyone done this setup before? if so what's going to give me the most power and reliability? i've read that a gsr head will produce about 5-10 more hp than a b16 head, but i've also heard that a b16 head flows better than a b18c head. one of my buddies told me that some people with gsr's drop b16 heads on em cuz they're able to gain more power. here's the best set-up that i've come up with so far: b18c head/itr intake cam/ctr pistons/balance stock crank/stock rods/replace rod and main bearings/and port n polish. i'll eventually build the valvetrain but not til later on. thanks for all the help

the B16 head outflows the GSR head SLIGHTLY in the top end
the GSR head outflows the B16 head SLIGHTLY in the mid range .

the difference is not enough to really worry about, especially if you plan to port and polish anyway... the difference is no longer an issue

the GSR head will yeild about .2 more compression
the CTR pistons will not fit the LS rods... B18C rods will not fit the LS crank
get some aftermarket rods and pistons
if you are going to do the cams, do both the intake and exhaust, otherwise you will not see the full gain

the best head for the job is the type r but since i dont have the money i used a b16 and have another half built ls/vtec with a b16.

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy@Nov 16 2004, 01:54 AM
the best head for the job is the type r but since i dont have the money i used a b16 and have another half built ls/vtec with a b16.
[post=417544]Quoted post[/post]​

the type R head is pretty much a b16 head thats been ported and uses more aggressive cams.

Originally posted by revolution8k+Nov 16 2004, 03:17 AM-->
sLuShBoXtEgGy
@Nov 16 2004, 01:54 AM
[post=417544]Quoted post[/post]​

the type R head is pretty much a b16 head thats been ported and uses more aggressive cams.
[post=417553]Quoted post[/post]​

dont forget about the valves retainers and every thing in the type r head is slightly better for a higher rev! .. b16b head is the best stock.. but who is going to have on of them lying around

misprint * itr pistons. found a gsr head with full itr internals for dirt cheap. hopefully gonna pick it up today.

some people dont have the money all at once , others just like some thing new.. others follow the fad , choose one! , i like my crvtec! turbo helped too

if i wanted a gsr i would've got one. that's not the point. i wanna build up my ls (since i already have it) to produce 200 whp. it's more of a challenge and something that i'll be proud of when ish all done and running hard. so i'm definately gonna stick with the ls/vtec. thanks e sol si cuz ur the only one who really helped. payce

your best bet will still be to get aftermarket pistons and rods

i think the only pistons that will fit right onto the LS rods are the B16 pistons (the JDM P30 pistons will give you higher compression)
any others will require modification of the rod or the piston

import builders offers several pistons for however crazy you want to get, and their quality is pretty much unmatched

shouldn't itr pistons fit ? i was looking for that site. could you give it to me ? thanks man

that's for the info calesta. just asking cuz i saw a ls/vtec setup with type r pistons. how much would it cost for a simple piston setup to raise my compression? thanks man

you can get your ls rods machined to fit itr pistons...just take about 1mm off each side of the top of the rod

Back