The Best swap for what I want from my car.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98civichtchback

I have a 98 civic hatch. Ill throw some pics up so everyone can see it. This is my question. I am getting an engine swap. I am torn between an H22 or B18c1. I know all about the pro's and con's of both, ive done alot of research but maybe someone can tell me what would be best for what i want out of my car. I want a all around fast car. i want it to run decent times at the strip but handle great as well. It will be a daily driver as well. I dont care what anyone "thinks", I have seen hatches with H22's handle amazing but they have alot of money into them. Money is also an issue, although they come out to about the same after the engines are up and running.(h22 might be a little less). With the information provided i would think most people would say to get a GSR and work from there. I can always stroke it but i want some real opinions on this. Tell me what you think. BTW i am from honda-tech and just signed up here. So far I like it alot. Peace.

fb19abc6.jpg

fb19b5f2.jpg

fb19b6cb.jpg

fb19adf2.jpg

who ever told you an h22 will be less than a gsr is full of shit.

a poll on h-t resulted in the average swap including buying the motor to running in the car was 4500 bucks. gsrs go for 3200+ s/h all day and really don't need anything else to get the car running.

I think the H22 will go better if you put in the jdm type-S internals, pistons rods, cams

Good luck

a b18c1 will be the fastest/best handling swap for the $$. H22a in hatches is way overrated.

i love ur car to mang, just need some better seats. and gut it!

thanks dude. ill get new seats eventually. im probably going with the GSR. My car has changed a little bit since then. I have a rear Type R lip and A full Apex-i exhaust and a few other things i forgot

B18C, lighter motor, wider variety of parts...... Bolt in, no expensive ass mounts(H22 mounts are expensive, rear one is hydraulic).

i would get the gs-r swap. the h22 is a good motor but you would loose drivablity, an have lots of over steer. the ek was built for b serise so i would look toward the b16aII, b16b, b18c1, b18c5. B)

all i need for the b18 to be up and running is a rear si tranny mount right. no other parts are necessary. This is saying that i buy a full swap from somone like hmotorsonline.com or another reputable company. I know the wiring harness has to be changed but that is it right. am i missing something. also is it worth it to keep p/s and a/c. or does it make the swap much easier without it

hey i also like are car.... i have a 92 hatch and putting a gsr swap in it... i paided 3085 for complete swap shift linkage ,alxes with halfshaft,motor,tranny,ecy,wiring harness, starter ..... the whole deal with 31,000 miles on it a jdm... i got it from http://www.japandomesticmotor.com its a good company...

Originally posted by enkei rp-f1@Oct 17 2003, 12:07 PM
i would get the gs-r swap. the h22 is a good motor but you would loose drivablity, an have lots of over steer. the ek was built for b serise so i would look toward the b16aII, b16b, b18c1, b18c5. B)

you won't have oversteer with an h22. you will have understeer. but only a little bit if you do your suspension right. a gsr motor in a hatch with a couple bolt ons and maybe some nitrous and you will be set to go. get the gsr, better all around platform, oh and don't forget an lsd tranny.

Originally posted by 98civichtchback@Oct 15 2003, 08:09 AM
i stand corrected. any input on what engine to get though

Go with a B Series Swap - thats what the Civic chassi is designed for.

As for price, LSVTEC would be ur cheapest option, since the B18B can be had for pretty cheap, then just slap an SIR II head on it.

you can get an H22 complete swap for 2600.. gsr complete swaps go for 3000-3600. my friend ahs an H22 in his eg and runs a 13.4 stock. it is much better than the b18c1 swap.. the only drawbac is the caable tranny for the H22.. wanna go faster? get the H22

Originally posted by 1fast5gen@Oct 27 2003, 07:14 PM
you can get an H22 complete swap for 2600.. gsr complete swaps go for 3000-3600. my friend ahs an H22 in his eg and runs a 13.4 stock. it is much better than the b18c1 swap.. the only drawbac is the caable tranny for the H22.. wanna go faster? get the H22

You're a faggot. The H22 swap is so much more expensive than just the "complete" swap. At least 500 bones for billet mounts plus, if you don't have experience with that specific swap and you don't want to fuck things up, you have to pay someone to do it for you. So no, it isn't cheaper. Shut the fuck up. I'm sick of people saying that the H22 swap into a Civic is cheaper than a B18C swap. It makes me sick that these people just go with rough figures regurgitated on the internet by people who don't really know what the fuck they're talking about in the first place. They always end up with a case of unexpected sticker shock and end up kicking themselves in the ass for it. The swap IS very powerful, but is ALSO expensive. The cable shift linkage is gay, you have to pound in the firewall, and there is always the ubiquitous understeer problem. My buddy Robby got the whole swap and tried to do it himself. After headache after headache, he finally paid someone to do it. It took two weeks to finish because the guy didn't want to deal with that pain in the ass. It's fast as FUCK in a straight line, but even with Tokico blues and Skunk2 coils, it still doesn't handle nearly as well as my car. He ended up paying $2400 more than the actual swap . If he went with a B18C, he could have gotten Toda Spec B cams, springs, retainers and a Skunk2 intake manifold for that much. The car would be just as fast and mash around a road course much better.

Dude, get the B18C. You can do the swap in your garage and there is much better aftermarket support available, not to mention you will handle much better and save money.

Originally posted by dohch22a4+Oct 27 2003, 11:57 PM-->
1fast5gen
@Oct 27 2003, 07:14 PM

You're a faggot. The H22 swap is so much more expensive than just the "complete" swap. At least 500 bones for billet mounts plus, if you don't have experience with that specific swap and you don't want to fuck things up, you have to pay someone to do it for you. So no, it isn't cheaper. Shut the fuck up. I'm sick of people saying that the H22 swap into a Civic is cheaper than a B18C swap. It makes me sick that these people just go with rough figures regurgitated on the internet by people who don't really know what the fuck they're talking about in the first place. They always end up with a case of unexpected sticker shock and end up kicking themselves in the ass for it. The swap IS very powerful, but is ALSO expensive. The cable shift linkage is gay, you have to pound in the firewall, and there is always the ubiquitous understeer problem. My buddy Robby got the whole swap and tried to do it himself. After headache after headache, he finally paid someone to do it. It took two weeks to finish because the guy didn't want to deal with that pain in the ass. It's fast as FUCK in a straight line, but even with Tokico blues and Skunk2 coils, it still doesn't handle nearly as well as my car. He ended up paying $2400 more than the actual swap . If he went with a B18C, he could have gotten Toda Spec B cams, springs, retainers and a Skunk2 intake manifold for that much. The car would be just as fast and mash around a road course much better.

Dude, get the B18C. You can do the swap in your garage and there is much better aftermarket support available, not to mention you will handle much better and save money.

:concur: its lighter, easier and less expensive. the aftermarket hasnt made shit for the h22 yet and even when they do itll cost an arm and a nut.

Exactly. Ever heard of JUN 3 H22 cams? No? Wow... imagine that. What's the latest from Spoon Sports regarding the Honda big block? Nada. It's a good motor, but just not comparable to the versatility of the B-series.

fuck you faggot.. i have an lsvtec swap in my hatch... i know all about the bseries vs hseries swaps.. and i so them myself.. so fuck off.. dohch22a4 ur a fuck..

Originally posted by 1fast5gen@Oct 27 2003, 08:57 PM
fuck you faggot.. i have an lsvtec swap in my hatch... i know all about the bseries vs hseries swaps.. and i so them myself.. so fuck off.. dohch22a4 ur a fuck..

Whatever, dickbag. Your bitchass has no clue what you're talking about. Your post on the B20 header thread proves that.

Finish grade school and learn how to spell, you bitch boy, faggot-ass fucktard. I also don't give a shit if you do have an LS/VTEC swap in your hatch. If you built it yourself, you probably cut corners and will end up blowing your motor in a few thousand miles. Or, and more likely, you're lying about doing the H22 swaps yourself because you obviously don't realize how expensive and painstaking they really are.

So, to sum it all up, shut the fuck up N00bster McFagtime!

Back