the best turbo info page ive seen

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jan 2 2004, 03:27 AM
i just looked at the pictures :)

:lol: at least he's honest. :)

Also, due to the VTEC system, cam timing on the B17 raises some issues that need attention. The valve overlap, intake and exhaust valves open at the same time, can lead to exhaust gass reversion issues. Reversion occurs during valve overlap and exhaust gasses are drawn back into the cylinder. Obviously this is not a good thing when you are forcing an already hot, pressurized intake charge into the cylinder

reversion is not caused by vtec nor cam overlap.
its caused by shitty manifold design, and improper tuning.

B17, and all other VTEC motors, will put out more horsepower with less boost than a non-VTEC motor, about 14% on average.

i'd like to know how they came up with that number....

The B20 motor is a direct replacement for the B18A/B. The only advantage of the B20 over the LS motor is the extra two tenths of a liter displacement This extra displacement comes at a price however. In order to achieve 2.0 liters of displacement the cylinder sleeves were bored to 84mm from 81mm. This extra 3mm of boring significantly weakens the sleeves which can lead to cracking when subjected to boost.

well, thats mostly bullshit. nice try though...

A reliable LS/VTEC motor is very difficult to build, as such it should only be attempted by an engine builder experienced with building LS/VTEC motors. Since building a good LS/VTEC motor is such an art, engine builders charge a premium for their services. Also keep in mind that the bottom end of a LS motor was not designed to rev up to the level where the VTEC motors are meant to shine.

more BS...

One advantage to a higher compression ratio is better low end power and response.

poor wording.. low end has nothing to do with it. its in Vacuum where the compression difference will be most noticable.

Aftermarket sleeves are thicker than stock sleeves and are also designed to resist walking, moving from side to side, in the water jacket which can compromise the seal between the head and block resulting in a blown head gasket

they aren't thicker. they are jsut made of difference materials. and i've never heard of a headgasket blowing due to "sleeve walk????"

Turbochargers operate on heat and exhaust gas velocity characteristics.

while heat does induce greater flow, do to thermal dynamics, a turbo does not need heat to operate.

Stainless steel is used on most tabular manifolds

ohh!!!!! Tabular manifolds!!!! i want one :bash:

Stainless steel retains heat better than cast iron but it is also more expensive.

says who? there's 2312 types of SS and millions of ways to cast something.

One option is to have the Garrett T3 flange removed from a manifold and have a flange for the 14B/T25 welded on.

14b and t25's do not share the same flange. wtf mate?

The wastegate has an internal spring which boost pushes on,

uhh, no it doesn't. wastegates operate off a vacuum system.... it sees vac/boost much like your brake booster would from the intake manifold or other vacuum source.

Boost creep occurs when even though the wastegate is open, boost continuous to rise, usually as the engine approaches high RPM. This occurs because the wastegate port is to small, or is in a bad position, and enough exhaust gases cannot bypass the turbo through the wastegate, making boost levels rise. Fortunately this is a rare condition and is not often a problem unless you are making over 500 horsepower.

rare? 500 hp? most boost creep comes from shit manifolds on 250 whp cars

The intercooler is required to reduce the air charge because as the air is pressurized by the turbo

how about no, scott.

Obviously a larger intercooler will do a better job than a small intercooler

like your girl told you, size isn't everything. and yes, there is such a think as going too big.

Getting an intercooler that is thicker compared to another model should be avoided because the ambient air flowing through the intercooler heats up the further it flows through the core, decreasing its ability to cool the air charge the further it flows through the core.

on a low horsepower setup, sure. on a high powered car, no. you need all the space/volume you can get

Of course nobody has every blown up a piston running rich.

:emofo:

and i still don't get what he's trying to fucking say....

i dunno i got bored about half way....

just be advised taht theres a lot of wrong info or opinion in there.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol
Obviously a larger intercooler will do a better job than a small intercooler

like your girl told you, size isn't everything. and yes, there is such a think as going too big.

:owned: hahaha

i guess they saw my post...

real mature...

pissedoffsol,

MonRex has sent you this email from https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php.

You sure are good at talking shit when people can't respond back. If you have all the answers why don't you make some constructive criticism instead of the wise ass comments? I'm thinking that once you've put as much time in as it took to write that guide then you can talk shit.

---------------------------------------------------
Please note that HondaSwap.com has no control over the
contents of this message.

Regards,

The HondaSwap.com team. https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php

pissedoffsol,

TurboGuide has sent you this email from https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php.

Hey! I just wanted to let you know that I implemented some of your suggestions in my guide. Congratufuckinglations on being the one person that found tabular, you really do know your shit! Despite some of it's shortcomings, it provides far more good information than any other single source around. And I'll tell you what. After you've spent over a year of your time writing something like this, then you can talk shit. How's that sound?

Please note that HondaSwap.com has no control over the
contents of this message.

Regards,

The HondaSwap.com team. https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php

congratualtions. fuck yourself.

good bye.

LMAO, so if it takes you a year to come up with that shit imagine what you could pull out of your ass if four. :asshat: I was going to read that until I saw the quotes. Do you work on Honda's? I couldn't help but notice the complete lack of attempt to back up the info in question...

damn I'm glab you gave an overview on most of that thing, B. I never would have gotten up enough energy to read it.

don't get me wrong--- there's a lot of good info in it- but at the same time, theres a lot of stuff that just isn't true or a matter of opinion. If you're smart enough to know whats right and wrong in it, its a good resource. if you're just a beginner and aren't really sure about much, it could easily throw you into thinking the wrong stuff.

Back