The Budget Plan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChrisSiR

Im on a tight budget but want to turbo, so far this is what i have come up with....

This is going on a Stock 91 b16a sir

1g Dsm turbo (Stock actuator) - $55

Cut down custom Izuzu NPR IC - $45

VAFC - Freebie! ;)

DSM injectors - $100

Custom 3 inch down pipe w/ both 02's - maybe $85

3 inch exhaust - probably price of the tubeing

Turbo Manifold (not the drag! tubular! im learning) - $250

Custom Charge pipes - ?

Oil lines and Oil Filter Adapter for the turbo

Anything i might be missing? anything i should add? this is my first dabble with Turbo's so bare with me....

*Edited*

scratch the FPR and add DSM 450 cc injectors.
scratch the v2 and just get the older, cheaper, just as good for your application vafc. run the vafc hack.

if you can afford it, you will get more power out of running a
3" downpipe
3" cat
3" exhaust

don't get a drag manifold. rev hard or inline pro are about the same price on ebay, and are better.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 4 2003, 02:25 AM
scratch the FPR and add DSM 450 cc injectors.
scratch the v2 and just get the older, cheaper, just as good for your application vafc. run the vafc hack.

if you can afford it, you will get more power out of running a
3" downpipe
3" cat
3" exhaust

don't get a drag manifold. rev hard or inline pro are about the same price on ebay, and are better.

believe that, just go rev hard, they have full kits on ebay, you can get one w/ ac for like 2100.

Thanks for the info, believe it or not..... your not the first to tell me the drag mani's are junk....

how important is the exhaust? will i be that dissapointed in the gains if i stay with what i have for now and upgrade later?

that manifold is crap.

ss autochrome = obx = meng = spark racing.

they all crack. the drag manifold is better than that thing.

the exahust is pretty important. going larger will not only increase spool time, but it will give you a much greater top end on the car as well.

vafc hack info is available on http://www.thedropshop.tv

Where should i take the coolant from for the turbo? ive heard from the heater hose..... is this a good idea? should i just leave the water out of it?

its really unnecessary. if it were mine, i'd plug the holes. the turbo only needs oil. the coolant just "tries" to keep it a little cooler. in effect, it really just heats up your motor more.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 8 2003, 12:58 AM
its really unnecessary. if it were mine, i'd plug the holes. the turbo only needs oil. the coolant just "tries" to keep it a little cooler. in effect, it really just heats up your motor more.

Hmmmm.... my motor already runs hot...

Will the life of the turbo shorten without the coolant? ive heard it helps prolong the life of the turbo......

it will prolong the life by a little bit. a couple months, a year... maybe more... it depends...

rebuild kits are like $50 bucks.

if your motor already runs hot, replace your thermostat. if it still runs hot after that, i suggest you get an aluminum radiator, such as PWR or Fluidyne, before you boost

I did a little editing up top ;)

Couple more questions....

Are their any good oil line kits for the turbo out there? or should i just make my own with some stainless steel braided line and fittings?

Does anyone know what the stock boost setting on the 14b turbo is? will my b16a create the same boost on the 14b as the 2.0L in the dsm? is there any way to adjust the boost down using the stock actuator/Rod?

Will it be neccisary to run a half rad (out of the eg's) to fit the turbo? will haveing the smaller rad help with cooling with a large fan?

Not 100% sure if my temp guage is working right.... it usually stays just under the mid way point, and i have YET to hear my fan come on since i have owned the car.... i had planned on mounting a sunpro guage into the dash twards the windshield to get an actual temp reading rather than a needle...

oil line kit- stan@fast-turbo.com
14b stock boost setting depends on the wastegate that comes with it- not the turbo.

you should fit fine behind a full size radiator- but that depends on the manifold you use too.

if you think your temp is messed up- replace the thermostat. its like $20 and a 10 min job.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 15 2003, 12:39 AM
oil line kit- stan@fast-turbo.com
14b stock boost setting depends on the wastegate that comes with it- not the turbo.

you should fit fine behind a full size radiator- but that depends on the manifold you use too.

if you think your temp is messed up- replace the thermostat. its like $20 and a 10 min job.

14b is an internal gate, im assuming its the stock gate....

good friend of mine has the same manifold(as i am getting) on her A3 and she has the half rad... its been so long since ive seen it i cant remember how much room she had int here... is there much engine bay difference between a 88 crx and a 93 del sol?

the only reason i think the temp might be messed is because the car has been a wireing nightmare since i baught it, is why the reason for the a/m guage.... not exactly sure what your getting at by replaceing the thermo..... warms up fine, heats fine... guage never reaches half way, and fan never comes one....

btw, thanks for the link and all your answers.... i really appreciate it....

Originally posted by ChrisSiR@Sep 15 2003, 02:04 AM

good friend of mine has the same manifold(as i am getting) on her A3 and she has the half rad... its been so long since ive seen it i cant remember how much room she had int here... is there much engine bay difference between a 88 crx and a 93 del sol?

the only reason i think the temp might be messed is because the car has been a wireing nightmare since i baught it, is why the reason for the a/m guage.... not exactly sure what your getting at by replaceing the thermo..... warms up fine, heats fine... guage never reaches half way, and fan never comes one....

14b came stock on several cars though. some may have been higer boost than others.... but most are probably 7-ish i'd say.

the 5th gen and sol bay has more room than the crx/4th gens do. if it fits there, it should fit you no problem.

if your temp is ok, does it warm up with the car when its cold?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Sep 15 2003, 01:12 AM-->
@Sep 15 2003, 02:04 AM

14b came stock on several cars though. some may have been higer boost than others.... but most are probably 7-ish i'd say.

the 5th gen and sol bay has more room than the crx/4th gens do. if it fits there, it should fit you no problem.

if your temp is ok, does it warm up with the car when its cold?

i didnt even think of that, the 14b is off of a 1g DSM

i have the 4th gen, she has the Del sol, from what i remember, it fits with the half rad, but it sure is a tight squeeze... i'll have to play with the turbo and manifold (when i get them) i guess and see what kind of room i have to work with... :D

Coolant warms up with car yes, i have heat within 2 mins of driveing.... takes longer when idleing......

Sorry to revive this, but im always full of questions.....

Should i bother w/ a MSD BTM? I might be able to pick one up for cheap if not free.....

at WOT, the honda ecu is in open loop, using set fuel maps
and timing maps. So the timing at WOT is going to be the same if using a stock honda non-turbo, afc hack, or a fmu setup. The only time timing will become an issue with the afc hack is at part thorttle and low rpm and in boost. and thats where the btm comes in.

Back