The Celerity Rat Rod Epiphany

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Imagine with me

This bed, only a foot off the ground:
HT-InteriorRadioGun.jpg

This interior, gauged out , smaller steering wheel (You almost lay down in it, like a european car)

HT-P7310219.jpg

img77-Sep02.jpg

In this picture we see the guys standing next to it. The guy in the back is standing ont he floor. So cut the body down to that floor, and then observe the front spring location. You can see the frame, and where it would sit. Basically the bottom of the door , down, would be cut off for the rat rod. That means the front grill will sit pretty much on the ground, the lights in that same location and the wheels will be a smaller street wheel and tire combo.

If you look at the frame here, the minitruckers in this thread will immediately see the potential drop.

Looks like I would need to install a transmission tunnel and splash shield, the shifter will poke out of it like a Rat Fink.

So it's already sectioned, chopped and finked !

Sorry, got em mixed. M2 on the left, M3 on the right.

img77-Sep02.jpg

In this picture we see the guys standing next to it. The guy in the back is standing ont he floor. So cut the body down to that floor, and then observe the front spring location. You can see the frame, and where it would sit. Basically the bottom of the door , down, would be cut off for the rat rod. That means the front grill will sit pretty much on the ground, the lights in that same location and the wheels will be a smaller street wheel and tire combo.

If you look at the frame here, the minitruckers in this thread will immediately see the potential drop.

Got any pics of the 73-78 red chevy pickup sitting next to this?

I didn't take those pics, found them on the intarnets.

It's just as tall, and with the usual bumper in place it's also WAY longer. So when I say "small" I mean it's like a CRX on a monster lifted 4x4 frame.

The body when it's off the truck, and away from all it's military gear is what is small. I mean shit it's got a 17,500 GVWR. It's almost a tank.

Also, with the bed - I prolly won't be able to get that kind of lifestyle use out of it. I have a rear axle to house, gas tank, what have you. But using the original White body makes it strong in case I get into an accident (Which is deadly in just about any rat rod)

rat rods are some of the greatest things around theres a guy by my house that is selling a '57 chevy belaire 4dr that has been chopped to a 2 door. they look really goofy but i bet ifyou throw a small block with 327 heads in there you will have a wheel stander. i want to buy it but the money isnt in order i could probably get it for around 5k but i dont know my uncle said he might buy it and build it.

Some guys go for the full body rat rods. 50s and early 60s. Even some 40s car are in that category.

I think there is a huge difference in the squared off ones (from the teens to the earliest 30s) but in the 30s automotive manufacturers started making them rounded, rounded roofs and fenders.

My taste gravitates to the older 20s stuff, flat roofs and flat fenders. Gives the end result a more "skeletal" look.

for sure the old school rat rods are great but havent you noticed that most of the people put chevy motors in the ford bodies haha. i wonder why?

for sure the old school rat rods are great but havent you noticed that most of the people put chevy motors in the ford bodies haha. i wonder why?

Im a die hard Ford fan so it kills me to admit it, but small block Chevs are more economical than any Ford V-8 (at least the cost to build is). Thats ok tho cuz that makes it all that much more bad ass to see a nostalgic Ford motor like a flat head, or a 260, or even a 289 in a rat rod. :)

Flat heads are great for looks. Performance wise, they suck donkey balls. The Ford 289 is one of the best motors ever made though.

True that with Ford an engine one is totally different than the engine of the next year. But Dodge is worse.

This is true. Chev is the non-risk takers best bet lol. They develop something outstanding (i.e. the small block chev) and mass produce it. Ford and Dodge both chase performance, or at least they use to, and phase out all their "outdated" platforms. On the topic of flatheads, now that rat rods are becoming more popular there is a small number of companies coming into the scene specializing in built flat heads. Ive seen some with some 4-71 blowers on em, makin upwards of 300 horse. The ones that are really interesting to me use old belt driven super chargers off industiral equipment from the same era as the flat heads. They dont make amazing amounts of power but the "nostaligic" aspect of em is pretty apealing. But, as you can imagine, it takes a fair chunk of change to get one of those motors.

Last edited:
If I could make a flathead i-6 into a more streetable motor (Like a 5MGE or something) then I would. But both the Cosworth and my Celica motor have a rat-rod appeal (The celica motor is offenhauser / holley / iskendara) Both have that appeal,

Back