The Celerity Rat Rod Epiphany

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

enclosure..ee956bc

I've seen a few jeeps done that way. I've considered it, because with a Jeep you can take ANY year body and rat rod it. You also get a removable top, canvas top, and all the jeep goodies to go along with it.

But I did a few photoshops, and never quite liked what I got.

Doesn't that say toyota all over it?

Or are you saying, people have done jeeps like that 'yota?

Flat black, with a diesel in the front end making something like 1500lbft and running 12 second 1/4s in a tank would be the most awesome thing imaginable for the vehicle.

Do it.

I like the VW Bug rat rods too. They are super easy to do do, hack the torsion bars to slam it, some company makes an I-beam spacer to rake out the front end, I wouldnt chop mine this much though I dont think you could even drive this thing, but still pretty damn sweet.

306431.jpg

That beetle is awesome.

And yes, that was a Toyota up top, but I've seen the same idea with a Jeep before.

Not yet. Still shopping / paying bills / prepping the CRX for it's new transplant.

Which by way, will be a shocker.
I'm not going with my original design.

That bug is awesome. I didn't really understand all this ratrod nonsense until I started following celerity's adventure. Now I'm starting to think about one myself.

UGHHHHHHHH. BAD THOUGHTS! Jesus. This board is going to make me buy another car. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I would love to see a rat rod with a honda body and a chopped top.

It's easy. I've seen a Pontiac Grand Prix as a rat rod. It was ... interesting.

Grab a junk yard honda and go ! The unibody incorporates all that subframe stamped steel into the structure of the car for most modern cars. So when you remove the "front end" of a Civic it'll look wierd. You'll need to build up a frame that goes along with what the factory had there.

and it's best to use the older models with torsion bar front ends. I have pics of mine if you're truly interested (It's ready to be a "rat rod")

Chopping a top for a modern car is the same exact process as it was for older ones. You have to cut the pillars, of course, but then you need to section and weld the roof back (It won't touch the pillars if you just cut and drop)

It's easy. I've seen a Pontiac Grand Prix as a rat rod. It was ... interesting.

Grab a junk yard honda and go ! The unibody incorporates all that subframe stamped steel into the structure of the car for most modern cars. So when you remove the "front end" of a Civic it'll look wierd. You'll need to build up a frame that goes along with what the factory had there.

and it's best to use the older models with torsion bar front ends. I have pics of mine if you're truly interested (It's ready to be a "rat rod")

Chopping a top for a modern car is the same exact process as it was for older ones. You have to cut the pillars, of course, but then you need to section and weld the roof back (It won't touch the pillars if you just cut and drop)

That bug is awesome. I didn't really understand all this ratrod nonsense until I started following celerity's adventure. Now I'm starting to think about one myself.
UGHHHHHHHH. BAD THOUGHTS! Jesus. This board is going to make me buy another car. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My thoughts exactly!

I hope you can get a rat project going Celerity! It would be cool as hell to make one...

And that bug... oh my... how low can you go!

Well I've taken inventory of what I have, right this second.

I have a CRX body, interior and stuff. Just a bad motor. Floors are getting rusty patches, and the panhard mount is starting to get flakey.

I have a Cosworth engine, transmission and rudimentary rear end. I've also got the car that it came from, but parted out I can make back about $1000 of the $3000 that it all cost me. So I've basically got a $2000 cosworth engine.

Also on deck, I have a 1983 Chevy truck hanging around, and some bits to make a 20's rat rod. I also have a toyota motor and automatic transmission.

And I have a sawzall.

Battery powered sawzalls are very useful in junkyards.

I have a Cosworth engine, transmission and rudimentary rear end. I've also got the car that it came from, but parted out I can make back about $1000 of the $3000 that it all cost me. So I've basically got a $2000 cosworth engine.

Also on deck, I have a 1983 Chevy truck hanging around, and some bits to make a 20's rat rod. I also have a toyota motor and automatic transmission.

And I have a sawzall.

Hmm, with that sawzall and a welder you can turn all of that into one ratrod! Then youll have more room for another project. :)

Back