***The Cuda Build***

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
The engine builder called and said the motor was ready, so I picked it up and arranged a date with the guys to drop it in the car. So yesterday we all met up and did work! :rockon:

The engine:
Mopar 440ci Iron Block -> Bored/Stroked to 525ci
Indy Alumunm Heads, Intake Manifold
Custom Diamond pistons -> 11.5:1 Compression Ratio
Callie crank, Roller cam, dual timing chain
Fully blueprinted, 695 flywheel HP!!!!

http://backyardturbo.com/friends/dad_1973_plymouth_cuda.php

We started the day by getting the motor off the truck and into the garage:
1.jpg

Notice the empty....lonely engine bay!
2.jpg

First step was to clean the Flywheel, scatter shield, bell housing etc...
3.jpg

Next we wheeled the motor out into the open to install the parts:
4.jpg

First up is the scatter shield THEN flywheel:
5.jpg

6.jpg

Next was the clutch disc THEN pressure plate:
7.jpg

Next we line up the bell housing and install all the bolts:
8.jpg

9.jpg

Now the Starter:
10.jpg

And a picture of it ready to go in:
11.jpg

Spun the hoist around and now we get it up to the car:
12.jpg

Clean the engine bay and tuck the wires/hoses back:
13.jpg

We missed the pic of it up in the air, but this is scooping it in:
14.jpg

Adjusting the stupid external oil pump...
15.jpg

What do we need to do?????
16.jpg

Motor mount bolts IN:
17.jpg

And we end the day here:
18.jpg

Next up!!!
19.jpg

I need to arrange a date with the engine builder for the first startup, he wants to be there. So within the next few weekends this thing should be up and running :cool:

Last edited:
My buddy was doing the shooting, I asked him to take a bunch of pics of the car and they came out really badly!! LOL! Ill be going back down either next weekend or the following and plan on taking pics of the car inside and out.

That car is going to kick some serious ass, wish i had something like that. Awesome job and awesome car.

My friend's first car was a Cuda with a 440. Even after he blew both head gaskets it was fast as hell and just damn sexy. Couldn't imagine one that's worked over.

wouldnt it be easier to put the motor into the car with the trans in? or is it easier to slide up from underneath. i know its not like a honda or anything, but i just think you could tip it trans first and swoop! done.

Its alot easier to get it into the bay like that, especially with the paint done, brake lines in, etc.. Alot safer. Bolts on top of the tranny will be a total pain in the ass to get to if you bolt the engine in before you attatch it, though.

P.S. Why would you tempt fate by using a used clutch on a 700ish hp engine?

I agree with the used clutch question. However I also wanted to mention your car is fricken sick. Looks almost the same color as my T/A now only if I could say I had 700 horses under the hood.

Lovin the cuda dude!!! A guy that I know has a purple one pushin about 850. One of his back tires are about as wide as all four of mine :D

what year 440 block is it? I expected it to be turquoise vs the H-orange unless it's actually the high perf/police version. Nonetheless sweet car to build. What are you using for a tranny it doesn't look like a TorqueFlite 727 or an M-21.
Just curious but why did you put the motor and tranny in all in one shot. I've always found it a lot easier that way.

Trans is a custom GForce 5mt+6gear OD. On the highway around 75 its only at 2500rpm. My dad said a dude in a Viper came up on the side of him once, revved, dropped a gear and tried to take off. My dad said he just laid on the throttle in 6th at that rpm and walked him to the point it was funny. I have yet to drive this thing really. I only ever drove it once with him in the car :lol: Now it's back halfed, roll cage, sub frame connectors etc... The car is seriously setup well! Nothing but the best parts all professional build etc..

The clutch only has 5K on it, I bought a new disc and re-used the pressure plate. He had no issues with slipping at all in this car so I assumed it will be ok with the new disc. If not, Ill ride it out this summer and change it over the winter. Cant wait to just drive it, listen to some Dark side of the moon in my dad's honor and just enjoy it :)

Very nice! Im diggin the Indy top end, dont see an expensive, quality setup like that too much in my area. Any port work done to the heads or manifold? Also, what carb setup are you using to top it all off?

Back