The "Del Sol Shell"

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well I am going to go with an LS ended up picking one up for 200 bucks and am going to start tearing it down some time this week hopefully. Looks as if work is going to be scant coming up with Thanksgiving and all so should be able to get alot done.

Going to tear the whole thing apart and get the block honed and possibly bored out to a 2.0L not sure on weather to bore it or not yet. Then do a Vtec conversion with it fully built and in the car by this spring. I'll get some pics of the tear down when I get to it. We are slowly progressing.:D

That will be a real nice ride. Always good having a fresh engine. Does the shell already have rear disc brakes?

Might I then suggest a full set of polyurethane bushings for the chassis. I did mine 2yrs ago and it tightened up the ride real nice. Handles the hp increase goodly. If you like a firm solid ride it's the way to go. Energy Suspension is the brand I used. Even did the shift linkage and front tranny mount. The other engine mounts are solid core poly with stainless steel housings. Noisy, but it shifts real smooth, even when slammed to the floorboard.

slamming it to the floorboard (or headboard, depending on what you're talking about) is the only way to do it!!!! lol

Gods I forgot how much of a bitch that crank bolt is to get off. Impact and a three foot cheater bar had no effect so much for getting the block honed tomorrow.:mad: If any one needs some ls parts though the top end is off and is going to be parted out soon.

Crank bolts for the balancer can be REAL tough. I always use a BIG impact gun. 3/4" drive with plenty of air pressure for a nasty one. Good luck with it. Be careful and don't hurt thyself. ;)

If yours has the hex cutout in the front there is a tool that fits it. I've read about guys using large bolts slipped into the hex to hold with one bar, and another bar on the bolt. Then, there's always application of heat.

Last edited:
It's got the hex and I have seen that done before. Always just used the impact on my D series just don't have enough pressure from the compressor I have. Need to borrow my dads or something.

And in my experiences if you're not drawing blood you're not doing it right.

And in my experiences if you're not drawing blood you're not doing it right.[/QUOTE]

i agree!!!!! hahahaha!!!!

Every one knows it's true I can't count how many times I have punched something while loosening a bolt or just sat up under a car and cracked my head on something. Then you feel the small little trickle down the forehead or arm. :D

Oh yeah, by all means get a bigger gun, compressor whatever it takes. Some guys get panties in real tight wad when suggesting a gun over some Rube Goldberg pry bar extension clusterfuck. So, I tread lightly cuz it ain't about pissing people off when I post on this site.

I'm an impact gun type dude. If it doesn't work, just get a bigger gun - problem solved. :) On most all crankshaft work I use guns now. Started when doing clutch maintenence on my Rotax kart. Centrifugal clutch needs lubrication pretty much every time it goes to the track. Using a small pneumatic gun to pop the nut loose makes it so easy. So for harmonic balancers, and flywheel removals I always use a gun. For flywheel install and torquing I have someone hold it and use a torque wrench to tighten things up and loctite on the bolts.

If you were around here, I'd show up with the 3/4" drive gun and knock it loose fer ya. On my 3/4" gun, I have a Snap On 3/4" to 1/2" impact rated (black hard tool steel) reducer and use the 1/2" drive socket sets with it.

Last edited:
You're right about that for sure - especially when it goes POP real loud!!!! And a piece of something goes flying past your ear at supersonic speed. Standing there somewhat Dazed and Confused, taking a quick physical inventory, nope no blood, nothing hurts, and then ya think, gawddamm, wonder what that was, oh well, sure glad it didn't hit me - it woulda hurt REAL BAD!!! Ahhhh wonder WTF broke???

Think I ain't done that shit before??? You know I've danced that clusterfuck. :) That's why I puss out and use a gun anymore.

Last edited:
You're right about that for sure - especially when it goes POP real loud!!!! And a piece of something goes flying past your ear at supersonic speed. Standing there somewhat Dazed and Confused, taking a quick physical inventory, nope no blood, nothing hurts, and then ya think, gawddamm, wonder what that was, oh well, sure glad it didn't hit me - it woulda hurt REAL BAD!!! Ahhhh wonder WTF broke???

Think I ain't done that shit before??? You know I've danced that clusterfuck. :) That's why I puss out and use a gun anymore.

Hahahahaha guess that's why I'm still a dumb ass kid I wait for that to happen to laugh at the friends I'm helping. All though it all come arround in the end. Last time I pulled that off to do the timing belt on the D15 I set the damn nut on top of the valve cover and forgot about it. Spent about three hours, and I mean three hours looking for it. My friend comes over and after five minutes goes "is this it?" I still have not heard the end of that. Guess that's what I get for laughing when you hear the crack of a bolt coming loose, and then the thud of a fat kid hitting the ground.

I do have to say, I have cheater bars in my tool ensemble. Chearter bars I've had for years man and still use. But, not for the monster shit - just the small stuff.

The EMT is oval shaped at the end to fit ratchets and end wrenches. Then the two PVC 1" work great. The longest is ~24" and that's it and it's plastic so ya can't go nuts with it. I've probably had those cheater bars for 20+ years easily.

Cheater%20Bars.JPG

While ya got me going and totally off topic, but not really. A good thing to have around is a Turkey Baster. Go to Walmart or pretty much any grocery store and buy 3 or 4 of them and keep in tool box. For brake jobs, pulling oil from the wells under the cams to pull a head off. Turkey Basters will suck up anything.

I used one a few weeks ago to empty the gas tank on my mini-bike before pulling the engine to work on it.

I figured that out 3-4 years back and have a couple of them in the drawer of the tool box.

One of my things is mess work area and getting slimey shit all over me. Don't like it. I will drain, shop vac clean, power wash or whatever it takes any given project before and during the teardown and work. Keep my tools clean, boxes clean, cart clean, shop clean.

Hahahahaha guess that's why I'm still a dumb ass kid I wait for that to happen to laugh at the friends I'm helping. All though it all come arround in the end. Last time I pulled that off to do the timing belt on the D15 I set the damn nut on top of the valve cover and forgot about it. Spent about three hours, and I mean three hours looking for it. My friend comes over and after five minutes goes "is this it?" I still have not heard the end of that. Guess that's what I get for laughing when you hear the crack of a bolt coming loose, and then the thud of a fat kid hitting the ground.
Fat kid hitting the ground - I like it. Reminds of the past, back in the late 60's & early 70's my dad had an old blue 1960 Ford F-100 pickup that we used to work on. I was 14-15 at the time. My buddies and I would help him do starter, tranny for a clutch job - whatever. My pals houses too, we helped their dads with auto maintenance, appliancs too - washers, dryers, coolers, whatever.

I been pulling wrenches a while - not bragging either. I've drilled holes in fingers at the ends when drill bits break (that hurts) and all kinds of stupid shit. Anybody that claims to be a gearhead and hasn't got some war wounds is just BS'ing about it.

Retard shit like lost bolts? Hell yes! Sometiimes I've found them in my pocket when taking dirty clothes off after work is done.

But in the end, when you talley the score card, there are many more successes than fuckups - that's about all you can really hope for. Now when I go outside to play in the shop it's Dickies overalls and Itasca or Wolverine work boots. Have many kinds of work gloves, face shields, respirators, gauntlets, leather work apron, leather welding jacket, good lighting in shop. Finally it's all about working safely. I don't want to get hurt any more. Or any guests working projects - safety first.

Be careful on your project.

Last edited:
No kidding I work construction and I can't count the number of times I have lost to a Philips head in a screw gun or dropped something on my foot. The last one was a 100 and some odd lbs chunk of asphalt. That hurt like a bitch.

The turkey baster is brilliant have two of them in my box. Fist time I figured thy one out got grounded because being the dumb ass kid I am stole moms from the kitchen.

I been pulling wrenches a while - not bragging either. I've drilled holes in fingers at the ends when drill bits break (that hurts) and all kinds of stupid shit. Anybody that claims to be a gearhead and hasn't got some war wounds is just BS'ing about it.

Retard shit like lost bolts? Hell yes! Sometiimes I've found them in my pocket when taking dirty clothes off after work is done.

But in the end, when you talley the score card, there are many more successes than fuckups - that's about all you can really hope for. Now when I go outside to play in the shop it's Dickies overalls and Itasca or Wolverine work boots. Have many kinds of work gloves, face shields, respirators, gauntlets, leather work apron, leather welding jacket, good lighting in shop. Finally it's all about working safely. I don't want to get hurt any more. Or any guests working projects - safety first.

Be careful on your project.[/QUOTE]

i know what you mean there, mr. 500. i used to do stupid shit in the garage, like drive up on a couple of blocks of wood in my turbo (turdo?) celica, while it was running, with a broken e-brake cable, because i was too lazy to jack it up and support it the right way... broke both my wrists that time.... or gringing some shit down with no safety glasses and slicing half my righ index finger off... i am a little older, and alot wiser (safety-wise anyway) and know that if i get hurt beacuse i was lazy, it can mean alot of trouble for the kids and wife... safety first indeed!!!

Back