The Difference in a Z6 and D15b Cam

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dark91zc

ResizeofDSC00084.jpg

the top cam is a D15b the vtec lobe is fatter than the z6 vtec lobe.

ResizeofDSC00083.jpg

both cams side by side

i do think the lobes on a d15b are a thousandth of a inch bigger. i dont have the worlds steadiest hand.

if anyone has any info one this let me know :) thanks

There has been lots of controversy over this on sohchonda.com; turns out some of the d16z6 camshafts are the same as the D15B-VTEC ones, and then some are different. Nobody knows what Honda did...

d15b is slightly larger by +/- 0.001" if i measured right

A slight difference in lobe size on a stock cam shouldn't mean it is diferent. two different size lobes could give the same specs , depending on the difference between the high and low points of the lobe in relation to the rocker.

Usually with a reground cam , you don't want larger , you want smaller. The cam is measured from the centre out . When a cam is modified to give it more lift , it is undercut .
The non contact side is ground so that when you adjust your valve clearance , it takes up the slack from the grind. As the cam turns , the valve is pushed further by the amount that was ground off .(depends on rocker ratio)
So with a modified cam , the lobe is smaller .

Duration is a different thing.

Back