the fatty 'resistor mod'!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

ok, this is going to sound completely n00b, but please understand that I am currently a poor ass college student in the process of saving up enuff $$$ for my motor swap so hold off on the flames/hatemail- just tryin to deal with the stock motor for now...
So after giving my car ('94 civic EX, stock d16z6) a complete tune up and hooking up some basic bolt-ons, I'm seriously considering doing this thing with the resistor inline with one of the sensors. I figure the theory has been proven to actually work enuff times; plus with the bolt ons, I'm thinking I could use a little xtra fueling. So my question is, which sensor does this resistor go on- the IAT or coolant temp? I've heard of it being done diffrent ways, and also of people doing it to the O2 sensor(??). So which way does it work best? Ideally I'd like to tweak my fuel AND timing curves, but I'll take whatever little bit I can get!! Thanx for any help :)

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Jul 5 2003, 12:35 PM
What does this allow you to do??... im kinda intrested... Never heard of it before

it's just kinda like a quick, 'bolt-on' mod that fools your ECU into thinking that your intake air/coolant/etc is colder than it actually is. The ECU responds to this by adding more fuel & more spark advance to compensate. It's an old racing trick that has been around for years, but now mad people are trying to make all kinds of $$ marketing it all over the place. Go on eBay and do a search for 'resistor mod' or something like that and you'll get 1,000s of these things

aren't these things junk......

ebay 'sellers' will try and make you belive anything alongs as they get a sale.

If you do want to install one. Go to your local Radio Shack pick out resistor and install it on your,... hmm coolant sensor. You want to trick your ecu thinking that the engine is cooler... so.... more fuel is dumped into the cylinder hence more power.... blah blah... blah blah (note: I'm talking shit)

Now your engine is running richer than it should be. Now you'll have to deal with fouled plugs, etc.,

The major problems with stock ECU's when you start to do just boltons with no ECU mods, your engine reads that too much air is going into the system (intake, plus exhaust is letting it leave quicker) Now to compensate, because it can't restrict the air in some way, it insteads dumps in more fuel causing you to run rich. The risitor mod will only further this and then you'll be running super rich.

I have a 95 Prelude SI H23A. What kind of ECU mods/upgrades would I be needing to get to not be worried about my engine running to rich?

Thanks

- Maximum

Back