The financial topic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
I'm sick of working "for the man". I'm tired of being "poor". I want to be able to buy what I want, when I want it.
So, let's talk finances.

right now, the best i'm doing.... is paypal. Currently earning 3.22%

lol

There's gotta be a better way.

I have next to no financial info on investing. I'd like to learn. Let's have a money topic :)

Not a problem.. what kind of investing do you want to talk about ? There are literally tens of thousands of distinct ways to let money work for you. It's all up to your personal requirements and turn-arounds (Turn-arounds in terms of percentages, assets or time)

I have attended many banking classes when I worked as a programmer for a banking software company.

-> Steve

"What do Hondaswaps teach us about investment banking?"

Sometimes the most unassuming packages deliver a hidden punch.

What is the economic backbone of the country in which you live ? In England it's History. History drives the economy. Old money and new investments. In America, it's Real Estate. Oh yes, Real Estate. In Canada it's Futures and in the middle east it's resources. So you go with what you're given.

Then, pack the heaviest punch in the most unassuming package.

Now, combine these two pearls and tell me what you get.

-> S

In all honsety, I want to make money by not doing anything. lol sounds retarded, but thats the ultimate goal.

I don't have much to invest, and long term isn't really an option either for me though.

Basically what it comes down to, is that selling drugs seems to be the only way to make some god damn money any more, and its pissing me off.

my brother is a financial advisor in NY...i could give you his number but i have to ask

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 13 2005, 02:14 PM
"What do Hondaswaps teach us about investment banking?"

Sometimes the most unassuming packages deliver a hidden punch.

What is the economic backbone of the country in which you live ? In England it's History. History drives the economy. Old money and new investments. In America, it's Real Estate. Oh yes, Real Estate. In Canada it's Futures and in the middle east it's resources. So you go with what you're given.

Then, pack the heaviest punch in the most unassuming package.

Now, combine these two pearls and tell me what you get.

-> S
[post=525478]Quoted post[/post]​

:blink: :blink:
an old house in canada?

if you're talking short term goals the only real way to succeed is to start your own business, work your ass off, aggressively grow your business, and then sell out...

selling drugs has close to a 0% success rate given a long enough time line...

your only other choice is white collar crime...
start manipulating the stock market or something...
the rich have been doing it for years...

you can do what i do part time

i work for pre paid legal
brainless work and dont really do all that much except tell people about the membership and when they join i get paid

better idea for you pissed...

venture capital

get together a great idea for a business that seems like it can't fail, and will make ass loads of money...
sign on as many investors as you can manage, and then move to mexico...

for something like 7 bucks a day you can live in a fully staffed villa, or better yet is argentina... even cheaper cost of living...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 13 2005, 01:15 PM
In all honsety, I want to make money by not doing anything. lol sounds retarded, but thats the ultimate goal.

I don't have much to invest, and long term isn't really an option either for me though.

Basically what it comes down to, is that selling drugs seems to be the only way to make some god damn money any more, and its pissing me off.
[post=525481]Quoted post[/post]​

I just had the same discussion with my GF just the other day...!

As always, I think this is about the worst place you can pose this question.

This is a honda board, by nature its inhabited by people driving ECONOMY cars who are struggling to make a living. Most are twenty-somethings or less, still living with their parents and haven't yet been made to fend for themselves away from mother and father goose.

Ever notice when a poster asks about a luxury car on the boards and whether it is a worthy purchase, there's always a resounding no around here because of the costs involved? Thats because most here can't afford those costs, so to them its highly unrealistic to purchase an expensive car thats going to have expensive maintenance and parts cost. Same idea when you're asking about how to make money.

I'm young but I do alright for myself. Does doing "alright for myself" suffice in the "real world" when I'm out on my own? Right now it probably doesn't, because I'd just be scraping by. As is, I'm living with my parents right now, working part time making anywhere from $10,000-$20,000 a year (A tip business, serving, that I've only been involved with for about 6 months so I'm unsure of what my return will be after 1 year) without a degree and without any real living expenses. For me, since pretty much all this money is being banked and I'm attending school full time its doing well. Unfortunately most my age won't even see that much money working for $6-$12 an hour part time.

With all that said, I don't believe anyone here yet to have a great finnacial status or the knowledge and know how to make fruitful investments yet. Most here are blue collar workers or even students.

You need money to make money. lol

Best bet right now is 401k or bonds. I wouldn't play around with the stock market unless you are willing to take a loss at first.

Without skipping a beat, I agree with New2.

And I also have my own brand of tongue lashing to dish out to you:

You're an idiot.

You're whining about money and how you don't want to work ? You have one of the most profitable, low-effort jobs in the world. There are people out there on this forum that bust their ass in the heat and cold, destroying their hands and ripping muscles to make less than half what you make.

And you buy plasma TVs, turbocharged 15mpg car, and live in your parent's basement and start threads to complain.

That's horseshit.

You could be SWIMMING in money, like I am, by doing only two things: Apply your intelligence in a job, and save money by not spending it on frivolous shit. Instead of getting what you want, Want what you have.

that said, you have the potential to make money. You have low overhead, no kids / real obligations and you're a bright guy. Stop thinking of get-rich-quicks and start thinking about where you want to go with life - And be realistic. Even the seemingly effortless millionaires went through hell to get what they have. Except celebrities, and if you audition enough and kick off a career being a star, Then all the power to ya.

-> Steve

the best investment is property hands down 30 k can net you 80k within 3 mounths Just bought a 300k property. In about a week that house gets knocked down then two brand new infills go up @ 575k each. Profit on the venture should be in the 125k-175k range and turn around time is just under 15 mounths

how the fuck did this turn into a beat the shit out of sol thread??

sure, its a honda site, but many and all things are discussed here...
you don;t wanna give advice, then don't...

and i don;t think a discussion involves giving him a speech either...

my advice on starting your own business still stands...
or as others suggested, real estate...
instead of just looking for a place to live, look for a place with potential... own it for 5 months to 5 years and sell it, then buy bigger, and bigger, and bigger...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 13 2005, 11:15 AM
[post=525481]Quoted post[/post]​

I fuckin' hear ya!

Real Estate, drugs, or laundering money.

The real estate thing isn't forever - It's not even close. This bubble will burst, this inflated economy can't sustain itself.

There are smart things to do with your money, But if you want the returns, you can't deposit $1000 and withdraw $2000 the next day. Regardless of the real estate testimonials, it's not that easy.

I saw an informercial last night for a "Buy Notes" get-rich-quick (GRQ) that creates debts, then sells debts off for profit. This is legitimate, it's what banks do daily. But to scale it down to where the average person can do it isn't going to see that kind of return. If it does , then everyone would do it.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jul 13 2005, 02:03 PM
how the fuck did this turn into a beat the shit out of sol thread??

sure, its a honda site, but many and all things are discussed here...
you don;t wanna give advice, then don't...

and i don;t think a discussion involves giving him a speech either...

my advice on starting your own business still stands...
or as others suggested, real estate...
instead of just looking for a place to live, look for a place with potential... own it for 5 months to 5 years and sell it, then buy bigger, and bigger, and bigger...
[post=525525]Quoted post[/post]​

Theres a little thing called capital gain in realestate that pursuades people away from doing this. And no one is bashing Brian, I'm a good friend of his, but I do agree with Celerity in some ways in what he did write because that is how Brian has lived his life the past few years. There are no true overnight get rich schemes, everyone needs to put their time and work towards being successful. I have never received anything sort of a handout from my parents or family. From paying for my first car with insurance and gas to paying for college. I work my ass off for what I have and am proud of doing so. I work to save money and save for what I want. Like I said earlier, everyone needs to put in their time. There are options out there which people don't take advantage of. take risks, start a business, do something that you want to do, or be stuck doing what you do know, miserable. Everyone needs to make what they will with what is presented to them....

Theres a little thing called capital gain in realestate that pursuades people away from doing this.

if you;re upgrading your primary residence you can get around capital gains... and even if its not your personal residence... i would still rather pay 30% tax on 100K than 15-21% tax on a salary

Back