the illiusive check engine light

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sherm180db

Here is a puzzle for you,
According to your VIN decrypter, I have a 1988 Japanese CRX HF Special Edition. It has a first gen B16a with what i believe to be an American B16 head and HF manifold.
I bought it last Feb. but have only driven it a total of 3 months now.
My first upgrade for it was a skunk2 chipped ECU and that's when it all started. The new ecu didn't run it, it started and went into "limp home mode" immediately. Error code 4. I replaced the stock ECU (both PR3-901) and sent the other one in to be checked out (eBay special). After driving it for about two months I started getting a check engine light, TPS. Then on my way to work I broke the timing belt and it spent the rest for the year at the shop.
After buying a few new valves, cams, a "dizzy" and another $3000 in other various parts I finally have it back. Only I am getting this same check engine light again. Always between 3k & 4k RPM on the highway and only the first time each day. This time its code 9 (CYP I think).
Some other things to know: Runs real rich (20mpg), lack of power (feels like 100hp), and a high idle at start (3k). Also let it be noted that its looks like its been rewired 10 times buy 10 different people who didnt know what they were doing. Its like running in "limp home mode" all the time but without the low rev limit. Still have Vtec. TELL ME THIS ISNT NORMAL!

The shops around here have been mostly a waste for time.
Does anybody have a wiring schematic for what a B16 SHOULD look like in a crx, OR at least where that 7th wire on the "distributor goes? I pretty much have to rewire the whole car.

If anybody can help me out at all with this you would be a personal hero of mine.
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide as much info as i could (spare you 20 needless replies)

Back