The importance Of Micropolishing N Balancing A Crank

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AdDiCteD2BoOst

Does anyone know the importAnce of micropolishing n balancing a crank? The reason why im asking is because i dont really know the answer to the question. I plan on building an ls/vtec motor that should be pushing out between 600-700hp. Everything on the block was rebuilt because the pistons were done and one of the sleeves were broken and this is my next step and the block will be done but i would really like to know the importance of this step before actually doing it. Im pretty sure others will also like to know the answers to this questions. The Motor Will be boosted (just incase u guys decide to ask). If you guys can please help me out i'd really appreciate it thanks!

Easy you’re going to boost and spin the crap out of this to get those HP numbers; a properly balanced crank reduces vibrationsand harmonic vibration allowing the engine to rotate easier and faster. Micro polishing is to provide the smoothest surface for that rotation. If your going to the trouble of doing the crank, do the rods and pistons as well , the more balanced and fricton reduced your engine is , the longer it can last , higher it will rev safely

Dont the pistons n rods come balanced already? I bought my pistons n rods they told me they already come balanced....So if i balance the crank i might as well micropolish it while its at the shop?

yes some come balanced , but check them to be sure or have them checked . balancing and weight match them is never a bad idea . and yes i would micro polish the crank . At the power lever you want for any decrase in friction or vibration will help the motor last longer . a side benifit is you usally make more power , then a stock setup , running the same boost .

My Question is answered Thanks for the help bro i appreciate it alot! I should be sending the crank as soon as i get my twin disc clutch cuz i was told that i need the pressure plate and flywheel....Why is that? Sorry to bother With the questions....

So the ls crank wont be able to hold that amount of power? And What kind of aftermarket crank is good out their? If anything ill talk to the shop and see what they think i should do with the crank

yeah its going to be my race car so what aftermarket crank is good to use? Cuz i was told the stock ls crank will be able to hold....

yeah its going to be my race car so what aftermarket crank is good to use? Cuz i was told the stock ls crank will be able to hold....

You need to stop going by what you're told and either 1) spend the time doing the proper research or 2) pay a nationally known shop to build your engine for you.

Crower, Eagle, etc. are known good brands.
Blanco is right. If your building a race car you should already know the answer to this question. Since you don't I would recomend rethinking you build and intentions untill you have the knowledge you need. Keep in mind I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just being real. Remember the old saying "a fool and his money are soon parted"

:Dmicropolishing is good when you get it done for free:D

i love having the equipmet at work to micropolish stuff. so far i have polished everything that i have had apart. the only thing i havent polished are Cams but i did my rockerarms and the rods they ride on even took my quaife apart and did those gears.

I understand what u guys are saying but im not building my motor a shop is building it and they were the ones that told me that the ls crank will be able to hold as long as a balance the pistons,rods and the crank itself

What shop is this? I'm guessing one that doesn't have a tremendous amount of Honda experience.

Actually thats basically what they do build hondas....they got a couple hondas running 10's,9's and 1 that their preparing to run i believe 7's....They got evo's running 9's so yeah this aint no lil bullsh!t shop. But We'll See what happens ill do my "research" before anything

So, they race their own cars, blow shit up, and then get the money to fix it from people such as yourself....who'll blow their shit up and take it back to be fixed. Common occurrence in all forms of automotive mechanical work. I ask you again, what reputable shop recommends a stock crank at 700whp?

I Dont build motors and i never will cuz i dont have the knowledge for it. Im not aiming for 700hp my main goal is between 600-650 and they're very known atleast down here in florida and have many sponsors around such as skunk 2,AEM, Competition Clutch, etc. And Have Many trophies from events such as HIN N Track Events. But Anyways as i said before i will keep doing research and figure out what im going to do....

They know exactly what they're doing otherwise they wouldn't be where their at right now.....

blanco i know you are very knowlegable but i have never seen/heard of a stock honda crank breaking. even at the 6-800hp range i have how ever heard of eagle cranks breaking. at 6-700hp do you have any examples of a broken stock crank i would just like to see some thing to back this up. as that is all i planed on using in my build and im aiming for 750-800 at the wheels. the only thing i havent goten done is get the block sleeved and valves and valvesprings have every thing else i think

Back