The knock sensor and you

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
If the knock sensor goes off does it retard the timing and send the engine into limp mode.

Ive replaced about everything i can replace on this damn car, and i cant figure this shit out.

My car runs GREAT.....until it warms up. Then it just starts gargling like me at 8am.

I dont know what the deal is, but it doesnt happen until the cel comes on, and the only cel code is 23 (knock sensor)

on a 92 prelude with an OBDI swapped H22A, would a KS actually put the car in limp mode?

Originally posted by reikoshea@Sep 20 2005, 10:09 PM
If the knock sensor goes off does it retard the timing and send the engine into limp mode.

Ive replaced about everything i can replace on this damn car, and i cant figure this shit out.

My car runs GREAT.....until it warms up. Then it just starts gargling like me at 8am.

I dont know what the deal is, but it doesnt happen until the cel comes on, and the only cel code is 23 (knock sensor)

on a 92 prelude with an OBDI swapped H22A, would a KS actually put the car in limp mode?
[post=557446]Quoted post[/post]​

All signs point to YES! So like, consider you know...replacing the sensor. :D Good luck bud.

Well, it's not really "limp mode"...it's really just retarding the timing (and possibly scaling back fuel) because of the KS problem.

Have you replaced it? Are you sure you wired it to the correct place on the ECU?

yeah i know its wired to the right place. I havent done the old hit the block with a wrench thing, but ill probably do that this weekend (No jacks or stands at my house)

its just really quite annoying cause it feels like my car is on its last legs

is it possible that i have a knock?

its back firing, gargling, and slow response (timing retard)

would the timing retard cause the other two problems?

i use 93 octane and an octane booster, i dont see a knock being possible with that.

i think i might have figured it out... (ill know for sure on saturday)

When i had my engine installed the exhaust manifold did not mount up to the downpipe. In turn there is an exhaust leak since only one bolt lined up. Since there is an exhaust leak the O2 sensor is registering a lean mixture and in turn the computer creates a rich state to to counter that problem. That rich status is causing a knock and the gargling that im hearing.

That make sense, or am i off base?

rich won't cause knock, but an exhaust leak often sounds like a tapping sound. That tapping sound can give you the code.

The gargling can be caused by the rich state.

Fix the exhaust, then recheck.

Back