The longest Post

To solve the fuel Crisis, would you....

• ... Make it tough to live with, but make it fast so we can go on

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... Go with the flow of things. And where does Cel get his M

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i say we go forth with the hydrogen, and impose the metric system at the same time.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 30 2004, 03:28 PM
impose the metric system

werd

however, like everyone else, I am going to have to pick at your post.

To say hydrogen is all around us is true, and is the most abundent element is also true however, thats not useful. Because hydrogen is the most reactive element, it mixes with just about everything, and is almost IMPOSSIBLE to find in a pure state without physically seperating it. How would we go about that? The most comman way to do this today is by electrolis. This is where electricity is put into water and acid (acid is a catilist) and it seperates the water to hydrogen and oxyogen. Whats the problem with this? Where do we get this power from? 98% of the time its from power plants which either burn coal, or fossil fuels, which then pollute. Hydrogen in it self is a clean fuel soure, however, when you look at the big picture, the net polution is the same. There would be a few ways around this.

Use nucular power. Probally one of the best known power sourses that are in use. Major downsides are fear. Ever since 3mile island and Chernoble (sp) no new nuclear powerplants have been built in this country even though with todays technology, the entire process is much safer. Also, the neuclear waste is the other big problem.

Use wind - Probally the cleanest out of all power sourses. Great in very windy area's, but the total output is just not feasible.

Use solar - Once built, no polution, but the overall cost is just way to expensive, also, people have to consider most places dont get tons of sun all the time.

My post was long, and lots of people's interest in it I'm sure waned at the second paragraph,

But you repeated everything in my post. Thanks for joining us though, have some coolaid and stick around for the raffle !

-> Steve

Originally posted by asmallsol@May 30 2004, 10:40 PM
Use nucular power. Probally one of the best known power sourses that are in use. Major downsides are fear. Ever since 3mile island and Chernoble (sp) no new nuclear powerplants have been built in this country even though with todays technology, the entire process is much safer. Also, the neuclear waste is the other big problem.

That's why we as a people need to get off our asses and devote more research into nuclear fusion.

And even though it's a process that one works to SUSTAIN, unlike fission which one works to CONTROL, there'll still be fear of it because it has the word 'nuclear' in it. :angry:

Back